Rear Upper Control Arm Bushings

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by KAB, Oct 25, 2019.

1. KAB

KAB In Second Gear

Does anyone know what rear upper control arm bushings to use? I bought a energy suspension kit 4.312. the lowers and 2 of the 4 uppers look close, but the other 2 are way too big. They are around 2" in diameter and I need 1.56". 73 GT.

2. KAB

KAB In Second Gear

From a bit of research I have the competition control arms. I guess they are more rigid.

3. Anton Olafsson

Anton Olafsson In First Gear

I did a 72 torino frame 3years ago. I hit the same wall.. I did not find the correct bushings and ended on ordering Sphon Performance control arms. Wery good stuff!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Anton Olafsson

Anton Olafsson In First Gear

5. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

I had the rear control arm bushings replaced in my '75 GT back in 1995. The kit was an Energy Suspensions E/S4-3120-G. Apparently they were the correct ones at the time.

6. KAB

KAB In Second Gear

I ordered the Spohn uppers, and used the energy suspension lowers. Depending on how it rides I may replace the lowers as well.

Anton Olafsson likes this.
  7. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

8. KAB

KAB In Second Gear

Thanks for the help. I got the rear suspension done minus the upper arms. I changed lower CA bushings, stabilizer bushings, springs and shocks. Rear end is really firm now:D. Just need to do the front brakes and suspension and she is finally road ready. To bad it's pretty much winter:(.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  9. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

I was quite surprised how quickly the temps are dropping in my area. I didn't remember it going from summer to winter so fast around here!

Joseph

10. KAB

KAB In Second Gear

I'm in Central Illinois. It pretty much went from 90 to 45. We get 2 seasons here, f#&*ing hot and f#&*ing cold, with maybe a week or 2 of decent weather between.

pmrphil and colnago like this.
  11. colnago

Our temps range from 120* in August (but it's a dry heat ;-) ) to high teens in winter. Windy springs. Sometimes, autumn is long enough that the leaves have time to change color. This year, too cold too fast.

Joseph

12. KAB

KAB In Second Gear

We get 95 with 90% humidity to -25 with with -45 wind chill temps. We had a few days that it was colder here than it was in Alaska last winter. WTF

colnago likes this.
  13. colnago

We're pretty lucky with the low humidity. Yes, 120* is stinking hot, but at least you can cool yourself with a wet rag. In your area, with that much humidity, a wet rag doesn't help much. I can stand the SoCal heat, it's the winters I don't like. I'd never survive in your area.

Joseph

14. KAB

KAB In Second Gear

Keep saying I'm going to leave. Maybe one day. I've been to Vegas a few times. I don't care what anyone says, 120 dry heat is still hot. When you can fry an egg on the hood of your car there's a problem.

15. colnago

The problem is, you're outside in the heat, and the beer is inside in the fridge! Time to put the tools down, and fire up the barbie.

On a serious note, 120* is hot, but I can still get outside and work. In the cold, I just stay cold. My fingers just stop working. I can get some things done, but it usually ends up being a day to build a fire and read a good book.

Joseph

16. KAB

KAB In Second Gear

I know what you mean. I can feel the cold in my bones. Every child hood joint injury just hurts. I do however have my beer fridge in the garage between the car and heater, so that helps ;).

colnago likes this.
  17. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Modern cars have soooo dang much plastic in them and it get's brittle below 50 degrees F. Enough so that if you have to repair them in cold weather you get slammed with the expense of heating a work area to a comfortable level, along with the joints that are reluctant to move if chilled. Not much get's done either during the heat of the day, causes most of my work to happen on the night shift. then adds the cost of lighting the garage. Can't win, our hobby is expensive. The one cost I don't mind is the beer fridge. It be an absolute necessary tool in any garage. Dad even has the same fridge in his shop just in case he manages to corner me to help with his projects. I would love to have the low humidity luxury you guys have out West, hot or cold we suffer from high humidity year round here in Tennessee. You should see the bill we get for enough heat to dry out the paint booth when it has to be used. Without the beer none of it is worth it.

18. colnago

I once had a new Chevy Silverado pickup. I drove it to Tahoe one winter, opened the tailgate, and heard a "plink!" Sure enough, one of those *&^%$#@ plastic clips grew brittle in the cold, then broke when I pulled on the tailgate handle. Later on, the *&^%$#@ plastic handle surround broke when I went to replace the *&^%$#@ plastic clip. On a new truck! *&^%$#@ Chevy!

Mama has me on a short leash with my drinking. She would never allow me to have a kegerator. I found that O'Doul's is actually pretty good, and I can have as many as I want!

The low humidity is why I don't mind the heat so much. We just went to Disney World this summer. Hot AND humid! We were sweat-soaked the entire time!

Amen to that! There is nothing like a cold beer on a warm day!

Joseph

19. KAB

KAB In Second Gear

Weather says we are supposed to get up to 8 inches of the fluffy white stuff between tonight and Friday. It's way to early for that.:mad:

20. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You are a man after my own heart Hillbilly. Second thing I put in my new garage, after a rolling tool chest. Cars are lubed with petroleum, car folks are lubed with beer.

Fully eqipped garage.JPG