Red Ryder

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by LSChero, Jul 10, 2014.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

To really get pressure up, a half horsepower drill, held very tightly to prevent wrist sprain (ask me how I know), should get cold pressure up. But, if #5 exhaust isn't pumping up, perhaps some gentle probing with a thin, strong wire in the oiling hole, would tell you if there's a piece of crunge in the gallery?

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

What is the preload on #5?
    Also, check the rubber plug in the rocker and make sure the hole in it is clear.

3. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Lifter pumps up fine at 200 rpm,just really slow getting oil up to rocker compared to right bank.Ran compressed air through rocker weep hole,even swapped
    rocker from right bank,no change.Was thinking maybe galley plug front of block leaking,but oil presser is good.Its going back together tomorrow...

John,preload tork 3/8 to 1/2 turn.guessin .030-.040.

4. ribald1

That video explains the final step after the real work has been done.
    It also doesn't take into account the extra expansion of aluminum heads. Aluminum heads will expand at least .010 more than an iron head, and usually at least .015 more. The shaking method is probably accurate to within .005 with a practiced hand, usually on the loose side.
    As I pointed out before, if your rockers are talking to you, they are loose.
    A good test to see if this is the case is to hook up a remote starter switch and lay your hand on the rockers as you crank the engine, checking them all.
    If you feel any click, they are going to open up to significant positive lash when warm.

5. LSChero

Motor all back together.Seems to be much quieter,sounds like my old vicky 292 Y-block with solids.Found a crack in plenium spacer,so bolted direct to lower.
    Ill pull valve covers again when change oil and inspect crappy proform crap.Now to get AC functioning.
    SAM_4166.JPG

6. handy_andy_cv64

You might be right about a leaky gallery plug, had one on a rebuilt truck 302 many moons ago. I'd rather have that than crunge in the gallery.

7. LSChero

A/C hoses on.Tested for leaks. Pulled Vac,system charged 134a.YIPPEE COLD AIR! Still got a few bugs to work out,but progress is progress.
    SAM_4180.JPG SAM_4179.JPG

andrewok1 likes this.
  8. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

X2 yippee , on the cold air ,

9. LSChero

Compressor failed,leak at bolt front of case.Back to square one,guess I SAM_4189.JPG am not meant to be kool..

10. handy_andy_cv64

Is it original to the engine?

11. LSChero

No Andy.Go back to #247 you can see oe compressor.Single manifold style and i did not get the plumbing.Ordered new four seasons unit,should get it friday.
    My last swing at getting operational A/C..

12. handy_andy_cv64

Ah, I should've done that. But Four Seasons is a decent company, along with Murray, as far as aftermarket new go. I'll cross my fingers for luck for ya.

13. LSChero

Keep dem fingers crossed handy,3 days and still got cold air!New electrical issue now.Something is pulling a lot of amps causing breaker to cut power to clutch and blower motor.Eliminated a couple curcuits today.Down to new blower motor,or fried hvac switch..
    Put 75 miles on today,ran perfect but desperately needs 3.50 gear.OD is worthless till you hit 60mph.Went by dump got weight with my FA 225lbs and full tank.Looks to be about a 200 lb reduction.It is what it is,going to run it till the block splits in half or she burns to the ground.
    SAM_4219.JPG SAM_4220.JPG

HuevosRanchero, Jeff B and andrewok1 like this.
  14. andrewok1

good to hear you got a cold car !!!

15. handy_andy_cv64

Too gorgeous of a car to allow it to burn purposefully. Since everything else under the hood is changed out for newer/rebuilt, why not wire in a clutch control relay? Newer cars use one, and unless the clutch is electrically defective (*raps knuckles on noggin* knock on wood it's not), it'll take the strain off the clutch circuit.

16. LSChero

It aint all that handy,she been hit more times than stormy d.But thanks!
    The mustang harness has WOT compressor cut out eec control,but havent grasped how to integrate with 72 ac controls.No lp switch.Open for suggestions.
    Tested new fan motor/resistors,only pulling 4.3 amps on high.looks like ill be tearing dash apart..again.
    fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

17. ribald1

Pretty straight forward.
    Pin 54 goes to ground to control clutch relay. Relay coil goes from 37 to 54 as the diagram shows.
    As your harness will be different, just interrupt the line going to the A/C clutch with the relay using normally closed contacts.

18. andrewok1

lp switch just has to brake black/yellow to clutch ,lP can run off of POA valve ,unless you have service port available elsewhere

19. LSChero

I tryed to power 10 pin,jumped lp switch,but no power at clutch.Does power come from 10 pin?or does it switch power on from 56 at relay?

20. ribald1

Ignore that part of it as your dash doesn't have the right controls. Also, be careful. Bring power to the wrong pin and you can fry the ECU.
    if you want the WOT shutoff, wire it like I said.
    Relay coil to 37 and 54. Nothing else to the ECU
    interrupt the wire to your clutch and hook to normally closed on the relay.

If you want to wire your A/c system to the ECU, it is doable, but a fair amount of work and kind of pointless.