Red Ryder

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by LSChero, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Third Gear

I retired once in 09. It lasted 30 days. My liver couldn't handle sitting on the front porch drinking margaritas till I went blind at noon watching the world go by. Now I work to pay for parts for my various hobbies. Stuffing a T-56 into my 77 is going to suck up some major $$$$, gonna need some overtime.

Cheers,

Doc

LSChero and 1965 Ranchero 66G like this.
  2. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I retired, sort of ten years ago... Still have the shop and a great manager that gets a base hourly wage plus his weekly bonus that usually adds up to what I pull out every week, every thing tallies up every day so I don't worry. You can't lower their hourly wage but you can take away their bonus, keeps things honest.

3. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Check with your local stitcher,maybe they can make one cheaper than shipping one over to UK.

4. LSChero

Original oil pan looked like the inside of a BB gun..
    [​IMG]

Basstrix likes this.
  5. LSChero

Retired 3 years ago Doc,love it.Broke as hell ,but blood pressure is back to normal.Eased up on brewskis,mostly because of broke as hell syndrome.
    Some day I will convert to T5 if I kill the AOD.Got most the parts,just need excuse..That T56 may be a bit tight.
    Conversion.jpg

andrewok1 likes this.
  6. LSChero

Brown truck showed up with magnaflow parts today.Part# 13216.Same mufflers I put on 73,still sound good 10 years later!
    SAM_4319.JPG

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  7. LSChero

Think I got detonation,popping issue solved.Reinstalled stock injectors,replaced NGK plugs with correct motorcraft units.Going to try a tank of reg fuel,see what happens.Desperately needs a regear,slower than Christs second coming.. WOT second to third shift at 80mph,OD almost useless under 8omph.
    [​IMG]

Jimbob and HuevosRanchero like this.
  8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, why I have a set of Bronco 3:50 gears for a 9" sitting in storage, because Empty Wallet Syndrome, AKA 'Maffunzalo.'

9. LSChero

Road trip to Vegas speedway to watch neckcar test and tune.Ran perfect,got 18.3 mpg on 140 mile round trip.Guess it is what it is,still better than 10mpg with the 400.Was pretty cool sitting on pit wall experiencing cars blasting around track!Bristol is on bucket list someday.
    SAM_4345.JPG SAM_4348.JPG SAM_4351.JPG SAM_4356.JPG

10. handy_andy_cv64

With the gearing and such, I'd want to know if your EFI setup could take the rig to at least 137 MPH, out there on the track.

11. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

you got me beat on miles per gallon, I only get 18 per gallon, if you change them gears you will get above 21 I bet,
    thanks for the track photos

12. LSChero

Yeh,the 73 gets better than 20 freeway with 3.50 and used motor.Might go to a 3.70 to give it a little more zip on track day.
    SAM_4358.JPG

andrewok1 likes this.
  13. andrewok1

i have 3:25 rear gears and running 235/75/15 tires , stock -c-4

14. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

LS, one hint if you do get to Bristol = Do not drink beer if you get tickets in the nose-bleed seats ! Easy to miss thirty laps or more on every trip to the loo. Unless things have changed the loo is all the way at the bottom at one end of the stands. It is a fast race, don't screw it up and miss it.

15. handy_andy_cv64

I wonder how that compares to Babe's factory 2.47 rear gears, 215/70/15 tires and 'stock' '79 C4?

16. andrewok1

HERS A CALCULATOR :: This link will allow to put your numbers in see below
    https://tiresize.com/gear-ratio-calculator/
    upload_2019-2-5_7-36-55.png

17. andrewok1

18. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Red Rider was spotted in Prunetucky yesterday sounds sweet with the X pipe! Left with some of the PYL and some that never made it on to the PYL
    The first part removed from the PYL will live on with Red Ryder

19. LSChero

Road trip to northern Clusterfornia to visit family and have my muffler guy (Rick)install magnaflow exhaust.Lot louder when ya get on it than 73 chero magnaflow system but doesnt drone/buzz at cruise.I like it!Left the camera in the cruck,so didnt get any pics while it was on lift.
    Clocked almost 1600 mile RT.Mostly uneventful till I hit a couple of rain storms.Cone style air filter located where battery was got wet.MAF
    went nuts at idle trying to adjust AF ratio.Removed extension pipe,dried filter and installed on MAF up and away from water fall.No more issues.Rick gave me a 9"chunk out of one of his old race cars,he thought might be 3.50/3.70 set.Checked it out when I got home,tiss a 4.10..
    A bit more gear than I need so back to square one,but at least got something to trade/sell.Fuel mileage sucked.Only averaged 17.2mpg.Ill wait till I get proper gearing in before try to figure out why.
    Swung by Carls(5.0) ranch on the way back to pick up bed cover.Talked him out of tbird air box set up he had in the pile.It will go in the 72
    should resolve my air intake issue.The pile will live on,well a piece of it anyway..
    Oh yeh,about 25 miles from home,the fish decided to eat the last desert pigmy owl in exsistence.Wouldnt think she was that hungry after all that fuel she drank!
    SAM_4385.JPG SAM_4386.JPG SAM_4387.JPG SAM_4388.JPG

Jimbob, HuevosRanchero and beerbelly like this.
  20. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Did you eat your Road Kill? I hear they taste like chicken...