regular or premium gas in chero.

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Gregory Cummings, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Gregory Cummings

Gregory Cummings In Second Gear

The book says use premium in the 351 modified. Can I use regular gas in the 351/400M. I saw a show where you can use premium or regular gas because the new cars regulate the stoicometric (spelling) 14.7:1 fuel mixture. Gas here in so cal is 4/gallon.

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You can run what you want, until it starts knocking. I doubt your engine has compression over 8.5:1, so you could probably run 83 octane.

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

The most likely reason for premium was the issue with detonation (pinging) even though the compression was well BELOW 8 to 1. Combustion chamber design (or lack thereof) made the "M" series engines knock like all get out. The only fix was higher octane. You could pull timing out, but they're already kinda doggy and that would make it even worse.

4. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

$4 a gallon? GEESH! I pay $4.50 for 93 octane (non-ethanol). And they pump it for me! 106 octane (non-ethanol) is about $8 a gallon. As much as I am tempted to see what would happen, I just can't do it.

5. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

Well, $4/gal was last week! And what do you mean that they pump it for you? I thought Oregon just changed that law, so you could pump it yourself.

Joseph

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Some people like to pay for the service of getting pumped, I mean, having their gas pumped ;)

colnago and PonyExpressRider like this.
  7. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

They did change it for less populated rural areas. Like Lake View, you pump yourself after 6PM. Gas stations on the I5 corridor, still have station attendants. From what I have seen, some may allow you to pump it... but the price is the same!

8. Gregory Cummings

9. Gregory Cummings

You must life in Hawaii or LA.