Replaced a radiator hose(upper) and it leaks a bit

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Jesus R., Mar 19, 2017.

1. Jesus R.

Jesus R. In Second Gear

What's up fam my upper radiator hose was not looking too good so I switch it out this morning. The hose leaked a bit in the beginning so i cut up a small portion and placed new clamps, as well cleaned up the corrosion. I did notice small air bubbles comming out at the beginning and then it stopped. So i raned it for a bit and everything was ok. Any sealents that u recommend just in case it leaks again?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Just make sure you snug up the clamp a bit more. The only thing to do is make sure, when you pull the old hose off, is that the metal underneath is not corroded, and if it is, scrape it off before installing the new hose.

3. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

Use a little grease from your grease gun
    It seals up great and won't go away with water and hose will slip off easily when you need to remove it.
    Works great on water pump gaskets to.

4. cbolt

cbolt In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

That's a neat idea Steve, I never thought of that nor tried it. I was gonna recommend no sealant, just snugging the clamps up tight. Ill try that next time.

5. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

I was going to recommend no sealant too, tried to remove a hose from a Lincoln Mk VII a while back that had been sealed on, removing it dislodged the neck in the radiator! had to solder the darned thing back in, a real pita. I like the grease idea so long as the grease does not degrade the hose material.

6. handy_andy_cv64

If you're replacing a hose, and it's attached to metal, just slice the end with a razor knife, then peel it off. BUT, if you're temporarily removing it, say, for replacing the bypass hose (I just did mine on the Exploder last week), only slice it if there's room for reattaching the hose with the clamp. Otherwise, use a large screwdriver to carefully pry it off (what I had to do).

7. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

I've never had a hose that has had a problem with a light coat of grease.
    They will get rock hard from age and still come off with a firm twist.
    You only need a thin film been doing it for over 30 years.
    Water circuit gaskets peel off soft and supple little brake clean on a rag quick wipe and it's ready for a new gasket.
    Don't put grease on a oil gasket the oil will eat away the grease and you will have a seeper leak lol.

8. handy_andy_cv64

Yes, but what about old hoses getting replaced? Old gaskets getting removed?

9. cbolt

cbolt In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

I forgot I actually purchased a tool recently designed specifically for removing hoses. It works really well and I used it with great success on my heater hoses, upper and lower rad hoses, etc.

10. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

This won't make hoses last longer they just come off easily if you need to remove them.
    As for a water pump gasket much easier to peel off then chip it off and damage the sealing surface.

11. Jesus R.

Jesus R. In Second Gear

Thanks every one, ill make sure to try several methods. Looks ok now, still running strong.