Restoring old auto glass?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Tygr1, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Tygr1

Tygr1 In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

My side and back glass has water stains, surface scratches and just a film of some kind. You know what I mean...46 year old neglected glass.

So does anyone have a DIY way of semi-restoring this glass to at least make it shine again?

2. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Might try white vinegar on water stains followed by a good glass cleaner and newspaper (not paper towels) and some elbow grease. You cold try to find a glass polish, some people like Bar Keepers Friend, for light surface scratches, but a scratch that can catch your fingernail is not likely coming out.

Hillbilly likes this.
  3. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Clean the glass thoroughly. Then slide a razor blade across the glass (held near flat to the glass) to lift out any embedded dirt.
    Take 0000 steel wool and polish the glass.
    If that doesn't yield satisfactory results you will need to get glass polishing kit and practice on some scrap glass with it first.

Kiwirancher and Hillbilly like this.
  4. Tygr1

Thanks kids. So there is hope. You guys are great.

andrewok1 likes this.
  5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I clean my windshield with 0000 steel wool and Rain-X at least annually.

andrewok1, Kiwirancher and Hillbilly like this.
  6. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Every once in awhile you get the right answer, 0000 steel wool.

7. cbolt

cbolt In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

I don't like rain-x products on my windows. Shortens the life of the wiper blades, or so I have heard. I do use the steel wool and normally glass perfect, or just plain old windex, whichever is closer to the steel wool when I decide to clean windows. Everyone has a different opinion when it comes to products for glass, and lots of folks swear by rain-x, my wife being one of them. For awhile there I was making my own stuff out of alcohol and vinegar. Cheap and works well in washer systems.

There are glass polishing products out there and I would love to know if anyone has tried them and whether or not they have had success restoring old glass.

andrewok1 likes this.
  8. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

cbolt likes this.
  9. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive

Yeah, the cerium oxide works, but requires care. And it is extremely toxic if inhaled or ingested.

I found a very small amount of dishwashing liquid (like a eighth of a ounce or less) in a gallon of cheap washer fluid (alcohol mix) makes a big difference in how good it works in nasty conditions, like slushy dirt.

cbolt likes this.
  10. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I have a power polishing pad and compound for glass. Care has to be taken with it's use as a windshield is two rather thin pieces of glass with a compound in between to create the anti-shatter. There isn't much that can be polished away without the windshield becoming fragile.

cbolt likes this.
  11. Tygr1

I have a new windshield. It's just the sides and rear that have that haze to them.

12. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Like always?

13. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive