Reverse lights not working (unknown part)

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by GhostRyder, May 1, 2016.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes it can. You loosen the two small bolts on the slider part and rotate the switch. It helps to have the wheels blocked, the ignition ON (but not running), the selector in R and someone outside the car to tell you when the reverse lights come on. Once that happens, lock it down, and if the lights stay on after that, you're done! When I do that work, I lay on my back from the passenger side and hang upside-down under the steering wheel.

Freestyle Don likes this.
  2. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

40 year old switch is probably pooched.Pull it off clean and inspect,may get lucky.

Freestyle Don likes this.
  3. Freestyle Don

Freestyle Don In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Thanks guys! I did forget to mention, it is a`79. I`ll try adjusting first. Hoping to get this old body contorted as described!..........:eek:

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Mine's also a '79. I was fortunate in the fact that I had to rebuild my column and rag joint at one time, but I find I now need to pull the switch, as the vacuum valve portion has somehow slipped off the shifter arm peg. A project for another time.

5. Freestyle Don

Freestyle Don In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Thanks again! I just changed my avatar. Seems more appriorite to show the Ranchero.....:cool:.

It now sports 17" Ridler spoke wheels w/Cooper 60 series. No pics of the `new` look yet.