Reverse lockout & gas pedal linkage repair

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beerbelly, Sep 20, 2022.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I noticed recently that my 4 speed reverse lockout wasn't working- I could grab reverse without lifting the handle.
    So I dove in this morning, removed the shifter handle, and noticed one of the trunnion cups was worn down by almost 1/8". So I swapped them side-to-side and it's working again- don't quite understand why. A new set of trunnion cups & springs are on order.

20220920_102911.jpg 20220920_102945.jpg

Then, out of the blue yesterday, the car started idling funny. I checked & set the idle mixture screws and sprayed the carb with Berryman's, but the slow erratic idle continued. Then I noticed the linkage down at the pedal was sticking out, and found it was all loose & sloppy. Turns out all the welds on the bracket that the linkage passes thru at the firewall were broken, so it was dragging down the idle speed as it hung down. Took it out, wire brushed it & took it to a local auto shop, who welded it back together for $10. Good as new after 57 years on the job.

2. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

That’s what you get for driving them ! Better that than polishing them in the shed . I am currently in the middle of replacing the manual shift rod seal on mine . Got the new seal from Rock Auto , 5 days to NZ was pretty good. The old one was really hard . Just gotta put the pan back on, fill with fluid, check the neutral safety switch an will be back on the road. First time ever working on an auto trans for me . Good old U tube to the rescue .
    Denis.

beerbelly likes this.
  3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes, You Tube is a great resource. But I've found I need to review several to get a consensus on the right way to do a task- there's always at least one ham-handed idiot flailing away doing it way wrong.

plumcolr, pmrphil and The Wrench like this.
  4. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

You are right BB. Luckily it was a simple job , found 2 vids that explained things very well . One was Geoff Ford at Autorestomod. All done and no leaks so far .
    Denis.

beerbelly likes this.