Road force tire/wheel balance

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by beerbelly, Nov 29, 2018.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

So after I got back from the big Bonneville/class reunion road trip, it was time for new tires. I got a new set from my local (west coast) Les Schwab dealer 'cuz I have one in my town. The fronts always seemed to have a balance problem, which they tried to correct after 3 tries with no results. As a last resort, they offered a "road force" balance, which includes probes to check wheel & tire runout and also includes a large roller that applies about 1200 lbs. of force against the tire as it's spinning to recreate the tire/wheel under load.

Turns out that one of my wheel/tire combos had all the factory imbalances aligned at the same spot on the wheel, enough that a traditional spin balance couldn't overcome. They marked the locations on the tire & wheel with chalk, let the air out of the tire, and rotated the tire on the rim to offset the two imbalances. Took it for a test drive, and perfect!

This may be old news to many of you, but all new to me, and I'm glad to find it out.

TestDummy and ForistellFord like this.
  2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Tire shops balance wheels all the time. They do it by relieving metal, or in cases where the imbalance is more than minimal, new wheel.
    The best shops balance the tire on the car so that the hub and rotor are taken into account. Then the wheel orientation is marked so if removed it is set back on the same way.

3. beerbelly

OK Professor, whatever you say. Jeez this guy is tedious....I tried contacting John off-site a while back, and soon realized he has more issues than I wanted to deal with.

Time for the 'ignore' button; you guys will never win....

And sorry John, I initially thought we might hit it off.

pmrphil, ForistellFord and TestDummy like this.
  4. ribald1

Sorry about that, didn't realize you wanted a pen pal.
    Good luck in finding the right person, he's out there somewhere.

5. beerbelly

Sorry Ribald, but I don't need a pen pal like you. I prefer friends that like to exchange common shared knowledge for their benefit, not people who need to be unworthily worshipped to maintain their fragile ego.

ForistellFord and TestDummy like this.
  6. ribald1

I ain't selling anything, and I am sorry that your desire for us to be friends didn't work out for you.
    I know you are hurt, and lashing out, and think insults will make things somehow better.
    That will pass, and I won't hold it against you. I can see that you are hurting and blame me for it.
    You may think that since I don't respond in kind that I don't care.
    Well, to be blunt, I don't.
    That is why you should move on. I can't be what you want me to be.
    Sorry it has to go down this way, but you deserve honesty.

7. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Third Gear

We used to have a tyre shop here that could balance a wheel on the car but no longer. I have never seen anyone try to balance a wheel/tyre by relieving metal -- does that mean removing metal from the rim? There is no way I would let someone do that to any of my rims , in fact here in NZ if your rim is damaged in any way you will fail our warrant of fitness inspection.
    Denis.

ForistellFord likes this.
  8. beerbelly

Kiwirancher, I remember having a balance issue with the rear tires on my '71 Datsun 510, and the old-school tire shop I went to had an on-car spin balancer. He would set the rear tires on this balancer, have me put the car in gear, and place his hand on the rear fender to feel the vibrations the wheel was producing. Somehow (I don't remember how) he was able to figure out the correct weight the tire/wheel needed to make them run smoothly- possibly shaving material off the tire??

9. beerbelly

I appreciate your honesty buddy, but I am currently LAFFING MY ASS OFF at your response. You have issues that don't affect me in the least.

10. ribald1

Oh No!
    Not you too!
    Whatever will I be without my devoted fans?

11. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Quiet?

I know that is probably a pipe dream.

I have been ignoring you for quite some time. To me, your replies always seemed condescending, whether they are right or wrong. Arrogance tends to rub folks the wrong way, myself included.

For those of you who don't know, when you ignore someone on this forum there is always a little link in the corner of threads the ignored person contributes to that allows you to "show ignored content". This thread and the other looked like a good internet "clash" as it were, which prompted me to click on the "show ignored content" link. After this post my forum will return to its previous setting and replies by ribald will not be shown. As such, my forum experience here has been, and will continue to be, extremely pleasant.

Click on the persons name and a pop up will then provide an option to ignore posts by that user. Its just that simple.

12. beerbelly

Yep, I'm choosing that 'ignore' option too. And I agree, this forum is the first one I view everyday because it's the best out there.

13. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

This is the greatest thread, ever. It's as if everyone is finally waking up from a nap to find an annoying hobo sitting at your dining room table, choking your dog.

The ignore option doesn't really work. Well, it works, but it's hard to follow threads. You'll read posts and wonder who they are so mad at, then you turn off ignore and find out it's.......well, maybe it's not that hard to follow threads on 'ignore'. Not with that constant.

Kiwirancher and ForistellFord like this.
  14. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Does this supersede your prior expression that "Ice Fishing" was the best thread?

15. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Boy that's a darn good point. Some excellent stuff there for sure.

Hey Dan, post more. You're one cool cat!

16. TestDummy

No, this one was best ever, now it's the other one Rib's versus Reality, or whatever it's called.

17. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Hmmmm, can this be found by doing a search of the site?

TestDummy likes this.
  18. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

It's largely been gutted but it was a good one.

TestDummy likes this.
  19. TestDummy

It's in Ranchero Pics, which is sorta correct.
    http://www.ranchero.us/forum/index.php?threads/ice-fishing.3887/

When I was searching for it, I found this checkbox. Search child forums as well? Does that default to Ribalds posts?
    [​IMG]

20. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

In the 70s I worked at a shop that had a on the car balancer and just thinking about using that contraption gives me the willies.

That electric motor spinning the wheel screaming like a banshee at 70mph with that 30 pound steel deathtrap clinched to the edge of the wheel sitting in front of it on a brake stool with both hands inches away working the weights.

When I see tire shops balance tires today with off the car balancers that have a tub that covers the tire as it spins SLOW as the tire guy stands 5 ft away with saftey glasses.it makes me chuckle.

I'm lucky I still have all my fingers (and hands) as accident prone as I am.