Road trip supplies?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by beerbelly, Jul 8, 2017.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'm getting ready to head to the Falcon Nationals on Tuesday, and would like to hear your suggestions for road trip supplies. I've put 19,000 miles on this car since I bought it in 2015, and it has been absolutely dependable after fixing a couple things. But, you never know...

So far I'm taking 3/8"-3/4" open ends, 1/4 & 3/8" drive socket sets, jumper cables, spare & jack, fire extinguisher, a fan belt and pre-mix antifreeze. And paid up my AAA.

Anything else you guys have found useful?

2. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

A starter, an alternator, a regulator, a carburetor, a steering column shift tube, a filler-to-gastank hose, and an exhaust system. Had I been carrying those at the times I needed them I wouldn't have gotten stuck.

Also engine oil, transmission fluid, and a test lamp - although you may already be routinely carrying them. (I routinely also carry tools, jumper cable, fan belt, and fire extinguisher. And a bottle of whisky)

ou8jaime and 1965 Ranchero 66G like this.
  3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Charging cable for your phone for when AAA takes too long. :rolleyes:

ou8jaime and Mike1969 like this.
  4. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Ice chest, sleeping bag , tire pump, tire plugs or fix a flat in a can, oh yeah don't forget the flare gun.

5. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Don't forget the camera so you can send pics of the show.

6. beerbelly

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I'm bringing a 1-man tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, ice chest, camera, Tracphone, ipod shuffle, beer, beer & some beer. Me & my buddy will be camping our way back north on old Hwy 1.

Don't do whisky Sophie, but the concept and results are similar (barring that damnable Tequila- TOTALLY unpredictable).

Phone charger is a great idea pmrphil- hadn't thought of that.

7. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Don't forget the Mountain Money...

8. beerbelly

Huevos, I'm ignernt about Mountain Money...

9. beerbelly

Ah, just Googled it, and yes, it's on the list. My first thought recalled "Deliverance", and had me considering cast iron underwear...

10. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

I generally always carry a can of gas just in case (Tank's never full because my '65 can burp fuel out the gas cap on hot days if tank's more than half full - alas, apparently a common affliction on '65's which I've yet to address). Have yet to need it, but there are a few folks I've found stuck out of gas at the side of the road who now think I'm a saint.

And...

What Huevos said. I've found poison oak leaves to be a poor substitute.

11. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

You won't need the cast iron underwear except when traveling through Sanfagdisco.
    Make sure you have something to put down varmints that may wander into your camp.

12. beerbelly

When we were young, my friends & I used to canoe, camp & portage through the Quetico & Boundary Waters areas of Canada & northern Minnesota. Leaves were known to have been used....

13. ribald1

Don't use these leaves!
    poak.jpg

14. beerbelly

Ribald, I have one of these, but no carry permit. It makes a mess with PDX1's...
    Judge.JPG PDX1 @ 10 yds.jpg

ou8jaime likes this.
  15. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

The Judge is not legal in CA, its considered a destructive device..

16. ribald1

About the only thing, besides pot, that is legal in CA is paying taxes.

17. beerbelly

Exactly why I bought it, for home defense. Accuracy in a tense situation not required.

But I digress from the subject. Has anyone used (or remembers) the desert cooler bags that hung out in front of the radiators back in the day? My Dad used those when we traveled from Minnesota to Arizona for vacations. I don't know if their even available anymore, but it would be kinda period perfect for hot Sacramento days.

ou8jaime likes this.
  18. 1965 Ranchero 66G

That's why I left, the only thing that I pay CA for is the renewal on my CA ID & taxes on the 607 acres in Ventura County.

19. beerbelly

Someone on another forum mentioned duct tape. Jeez! How could I have missed THE most valuable item in the arsenal??

ou8jaime likes this.
  20. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

Canvas water bags are very cool - literally. As the water evaporates from the surface of the bag it cools the water. I had a small one I used instead of a canteen for hiking/camping but it finally gave up the ghost about 15 years ago and I wasn't able to find a replacement. I don't think they're made anymore, although just about everything turns up on e-bay at one time or another.