Roller pedal bearing install

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by beerbelly, Nov 25, 2018.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

So I'm starting to get the clutch pedal that doesn't want to return without some help from my toe. Did some research, and I think it's more than likely that the pedal bushings in the pedal support are worn; the over-center spring and the clutch fork return spring are in place and working. So I ordered a Scott Drake kit that replaces the plastic/aluminum bushings with roller bearings:
    https://www.falconparts.com/ford-fa...5-CLUTCH-PEDAL-MASTER-REBUILD-KITS-48p810.htm

Has anyone done this work? I'm assuming it would be easiest to remove the steering wheel, column cover and maybe the instrument cluster to get easy access to all the mounting bolts, and do this conversion on the workbench? Any advice is appreciated.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Anytime you deal with a pedal assembly, getting it out and on the workbench saves your back, your blood pressure and your sanity. Just my two cents' worth.

3. cbolt

cbolt In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

I removed mine from the car to rebuild it. Easiest way to go. I cannot imagine working with the assembly installed.

4. beerbelly

Well THAT was a ton 'o fun! NOT. That is not a job for the faint of heart. But boy howdy was it worth it after the first test drive. Clutch action is smooth as butter, and the pedal returns just like it should. Not only were the aluminum pedal shaft bushings egged-shaped & spinning, but the big over-center spring was digging into its attachment point on the clutch pedal stop arm, metal-on-metal. It was missing a nylon bushing which seems to be a common problem after many years of use. My buddy built up a little weld in there, did some filing, a new bushing, and Bob's your uncle. My hands look like I've been attacked by a rabid cat from all the twisting & turning against sharp metal edges under the dash.

Now I just have to tidy up some wiring under there with a few zip ties, and it's beer:30!

IMG_9809.JPG IMG_9829.JPG

LSChero, TestDummy, Basstrix and 2 others like this.
  5. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Heck, that's almost sexy looking. o_O:p

6. cbolt

cbolt In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

Looks good. I remember how difficult it was to get the bushings, spring, and assembly installed while working under and behind the dash. You certainly earned that beer! For me the bushing where the spring attaches was the most difficult part.

7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Too bad that's hidden under the dash. Maybe get a mirror or small camera so you can watch it work?

8. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Hope you didn't get that idea from a guy with those things installed on his shoes. :eek: :rolleyes:

TestDummy likes this.
  9. beerbelly

Patent leather driving shoes!