Rusty factory equipt 4 spd 73 Ranchero

Discussion in 'Rancheros For Sale' started by 72sport, Nov 30, 2013.

1. 72sport

72sport In Second Gear

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lets start out by saying this car runs and drives, but is very rusty. It also has a rust hole in the frame near the frame pocket for the left rear lower control arms. If you want this car for anything other than a parts car it would need a lot of work. It has steel wheels from a jeep on it right now. Tires are old but have a lot of tread. Topper was traded for a gas tank for it.

I need to start looking for a better daily driver and could use the extra cash from the Ranchero more than the car. So it is up for sale. I'll give it a week here then its off to Evilbay.

I bought the Ranchero as a parts car. It was told it had a rebuilt 351CJ from a 72 so it is not #s matching. I was told the trans was rebuilt too. By the was the engine runs and the trans shifts I believe it. I needed to drive it for some reason so I replaced all the brake lines and breaks with good used parts.

Bottom dollar price for forum members is $3000 I know it seems like a lot, but look at what you'll get

Great running 351CJ with torker intake/holley 600/Accell dual point dist
    Great shifting toploader with Aftermarket Hurts Comp. plus shifter
    4 speed pedal assembly plus all linkage
    Compitition suspension with big front sway bar plus rear swaybar
    3.25 traction lok rear end.
    wiring for Tach gauge cluster plus tach

Basically you get everything to swap a 351CJ/4 speed into your car. Plus you can drive it home. I drove the car 900 miles and would not be afraid to drive it across the country.

Here is a link to the thread of when I put it back together.

I have rust free fenders and tailgate I can sell as well.

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/the-cruck-a-parts-car_topic7558_post72939.html?KW=#72939

2. airford1

airford1 In Maximum Overdrive

Let me be the first to say "$3000 Good Luck with THAT"

3. 72sport

72sport In Second Gear

Thanks for your opinion.

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I have to agree with Airford.
    What you are offering is a car for $3000, that after several hundred hours of work and $2000 more will create a car worth maybe $4500.
    Realistically, if you add up what a rusted Ranchero goes for plus getting the items you listed from a wreaking yard, it is way under your asking price.
    I don't mean to be harsh, but if you look at the Ranchero's for sale posts here you will see better cars for less that are ready to go.
    You build a Ranchero because you want it. There is no money in these things.
    Sorry :(

5. 72sport

72sport In Second Gear

I agree with you. This car should not be restored. It is just too far gone to bring back in my opinion. If it was a '69 Boss429 it would be a different story, but not a '73 Ranchero. Should somebody with a nice 72 up Ranchero buy it to swap the drivetrain? Well that is a question only the owner of the car can answer. They probably would be at the break even point or less, but they'd have a 4 speed Cherro. How many 72 ups were made?

Who do I think will end up buying it? Well I think somebody with a very nice '72 Torino that wants a 4 speed will buy it. They could swap the drivetrain. Every piece they need is there. Hell if the have a C4 or FMX They can use their driveshaft. C4 would need the yoke swapped. How many '72 Sport 4 speeds do you see for sale? What do really nice 4 speeds bring? I think that somebody could be money ahead with the swap.

Do you think I'm asking too much? How many 72 up 4 speeds have you sold? Well this is my 3rd. I have bought 5 and after I sell this one I'll still own 2, so I really don't care what you think. What I don't like is the attitude given. If airford would have worded it the way Ribald1 did I just would have figured that his opinion, but in my opinion he was quite rude, but should my opinion matter to him? Well I hope not, because if it does that is just sad.

For the sake of comparison for those of you that think I'm asking too much. I was asking $2500 for a not running heavily wrecked 72. It was complete with bucket seat interior, but the interior was in pretty sad shape. It sold for very close to that. Here are a couple pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one I sold on Ebay for asking price $2200. I listed it here before ebay. It didn't run either.
    http://www.ranchero.us/forums/showthread.php?t=28515
    [​IMG]

I won't comment on this thread again. If anybody is seriously interested in the car PM me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  6. airford1

airford1 In Maximum Overdrive

OK, This is what makes America a wonderful place. Buyers have the right to be stupid and if you can find the suckers, well then good luck with that. Dont leave mad. You should have a thick skin trying to sell scrap metal as a restorable car. Let me say that I didnt intend to hurt your feelings. You Sir did insult this forum thinking that you could fish here with that bait. Just sayin my friend.