#'s matching rebuilt 289 4 bbl

Discussion in 'Ranchero Parts for Sale LINKS' started by beerbelly, Nov 22, 2019.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Someone clear up "numbers matching" for me, please? I hear GM officianados speak of it all the time to mean the engine, trans, rear, etc. "match" the chassis serial number of their respective el-abhorall...

With Fords, the engine, trans and body serial number all are the same per the way for stamps and serializes.

So... how does an engine without a body and trans equate to numbers matching???

3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

All it can mean in this situation is that none of the castings were made later than the assembly date. That date is questionable without that aluminum tag under the original coil bracket. Guess he started with the block casting date. Parts can be older than the assembly date but not newer. Means zero unless you are going for a concours trophy.

4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, so I'm guessing the "numbers matching" is throwing out some buzz words and just means he wants more money.

Hillbilly likes this.
  5. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I assume he means that the block and heads (primarily), are within a few days of the assembly date stamped on the block, following foundry departure and final engine assembly.

My block, & heads were all cast a short time before the engine assembly date of Dec. 8, 1964, and the the final car assembly date was Dec. 9th. That may be what he's trying to say.

Engine block, cast 196(4) Dec (M) 3rd (3).JPG engine assembly date.JPG Data plate.jpg

Hillbilly likes this.