SanFran

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TestDummy, Apr 18, 2017.

1. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive

Well it's dumb. And dangerous. Ar they speed limited while doing this stupid exercise?

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero MODERATOR Staff Member

Lane splitting in a safe and prudent manner is not illegal in the state of California.
    The term lane splitting, sometimes known as lane sharing, filtering or white-lining, refers to the process of a motorcyclist riding between lanes of stopped or slower moving traffic or moving between lanes to the front of traffic stopped at a traffic light.
    Motorcyclists who are competent enough riders to lane split, should follow these general guidelines if choosing to lane split:
    1) Travel at a speed that is no more than 10 MPH faster than other traffic – danger increases at higher speed differentials.
    - A speed differential of 10 miles per hour or less allows an alert, competent rider enough time to identify and react to most dangerous situations that can occur.
    - The greater the speed differential, the less time a rider has to identify and react to a hazard.

buts that just a guideline not a law

3. 5.0 Chero

4. ForistellFord

Well they ain't doing 10MPH as they race past stopped cars on the freeway. Fools.

5. Basstrix

Basstrix In Fourth Gear BRONZE MEMBER

I'm with you, FF....these guys go blasting by me....sure ain't no 10 MPH differential.

ForistellFord likes this.
  6. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

They don't get killed every day. The Lord watches over drunks and fools.
    They do end up on the pavement a lot however. Every once in a while someone will see one coming and open their door just to watch the panic stop.

7. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

8. 5.0 Chero

Sean
    Yes I will buy you dinner if you drive down here..........its only about a 2.5 hour drive with fair traffic

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Are you kidding me?!? Since when does any stretch in Cali have 'fair traffic?' I've driven those 75 MPH parking lots in San Dog and up on I-15 North of Escondido. I couldn't figure out why CHP would bother patrolling I-15, including a helo, until it hit me: they were patrolling for slowpokes.

10. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

- Definitely go to Clement Street for its wide variety of ethnic restaurants.
    - And definitely check out Golden Gate Park - especially the Victorian greenhouse.
    - Previous recommendation to check out Coit Tower is a good one.
    - Chinatown is pretty interesting. Bit of historical trivia: Reason why ground squirrels in Kalifornistan carry plague is because in the late 1800's racist whites tried to burn down Chinatown - and succeeded in chasing plague-carrying rats out of town.
    - I wouldn't put the Haight at the top of my list - it's gone way way downhill since back in the day. Geezer factor here: I hitch-hiked from LA to San Francisco for the Summer of Love. For some reason I can't seem to remember much of it...
    - The Tenderloin is great if you're looking to score some heroin or to hook up with an HIV-positive transvestite prostitute.
    - There are good blues clubs South of Market - I especially recommend Slim's.

I don't agree with regarding avoiding the Castro district. I like it, and I'm straight. But it wouldn't be on my list of things to do. Another aside: In the '80's I went to college in San Francisco. I rather enjoyed being one of three straight men in a city full of beautiful women.

It's been said that all great cities are made for walking, and that's certainly true of San Francisco. Even if driving - and especially parking - wasn't such a nightmare in San Francisco it's far better to walk whenever you can.

And San Franciscans generally don't like you to call the City "Frisco".

11. ForistellFord

Which is exactly why I constantly call it Frisco.

12. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

The area around the Castro is known as 'Crisco'.

13. ForistellFord

See? Now that's funny right there. And sadly, probably true.

14. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

15. ForistellFord

That's where the Tesla plant is, eh? Maybe they had a battery malfunction.

16. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

Ah, Ribald1, that explains something I've always wondered about: The bars in the Castro all have the seats removed from the barstools, leaving only the pedestal.

17. handy_andy_cv64

And their favorite bar greeting: "May I push in your stool?":eek::confused:

18. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

So have you had much luck with that line, handy andy, you silly savage you?

A bit of an aside: One thing I learned when going to school in San Francisco was to not tuck a yellow bandanna into my left hip pocket.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  19. handy_andy_cv64

My mom's favorite city was San Francisco, and boy did she get testy when I called it "Frisco." Her favorite place was Grotto 9, and I heard it has totally gone downhill.

20. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

I moved from LA to the Bay Area c. 1973 and quickly learned that San Francisco is "the City", not "Frisco".