Seafoam's 71

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by sarah, Nov 8, 2010.

1. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very clean ride... You did good with this one

2. sarah

3. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

looks like a great starting point!

4. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

Great color! ;) Did Ford actually have a color that they called Seafoam in 1971? It looks very close to the color of mine, and according to my Ford shop manual it was called Pastel Lime in 1972.

Either way, it's an unusual color that takes a little 'gettin used to', but I like it.

5. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

I like the color to, different = good:D:cool:
    And the car looks very good but offcause alwayes some work to do, but that's what the hobby are all about :rolleyes:

6. hawk

hawk In Fourth Gear

Nice truck and great color. You'll definitely stand out in a crowd. She's a "looker".

7. seafoam71

seafoam71 In Third Gear

Far as I can tell, the Ford color was called "light green" for 71 Rancho. I just used "seafoam" 'cause a friend called it that color. I had a '62 TBird 'vert that was very close to this color.

Waiting for my trans this week. Got the best guys in town building my C4, I also got a good wholesale price that incs the shift kit.

Then comes tune up time, fluids flushing etc etc..got lucky on the radiator looks almost new inside, heater core.. well, another story..:( the brakes seem OK but the front end will need the rebuild, somewhere in there I have to get some sort of a seat as the orig is trashed and mashed. Can't see over my Tach...:eek:

More pics to come (THX Sarah!!!)

8. sarah

anytime Cash you have the email... :)

9. 2beast

2beast In Third Gear

Ahh, a green 71.

Brings back fond memories of being 16 with my green 71.
    Till I wrecked it after only about 4 weeks :(

10. seafoam71

seafoam71 In Third Gear

Beast I think you got a thing for green..:D..I starting hitting the exterior w/rubbing compound today, cutting through the oxidation the color turned a little darker with a nice Earl Schieb (sp?) rat rod patina to it. Tomorrow I gotta take some "before" pics of the interior..luckily the dash ('cept the pad) is intact, only missing a few lever knobs, door panels are saveable I think...more to come..

11. sarah

12. seafoam71

seafoam71 In Third Gear

Thanks again Sarah for helping me post..for the viewers the pics are how I got he Car. Hope to show some progress pics soon.

13. sarah

No problem Cash, I do like the wide open gauges in those earlier fords.. Interior work is fun.

14. seafoam71

seafoam71 In Third Gear

Cleanup has begun and new Tranny goes in today.

15. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

A few suggestions from another '71 owner -- plan on removing the rugs and kick panels as soon as possible -- from the looks of your rugs there may be some nasty surprises under there, same for the two cubby spaces behind the seats.

If you must park it outside, then you'll be wanting to know where the drain holes for the bed are located [about 2" back from the cab wall, and 1" in from the side wall, one on either side]. On my car, some previous owner had Bondo'ed mine shut, which almost forces the car to leak water into the cab. Otherwise, try to park it with the front up a hill.

Water getting into the two vent holes on the firewall [under the hood, high on the firewall, plastic grills] will surely come into the cab if those get plugged, so figure out what you want to do about that. The simple answer is to remove those plastic grills and install blocking plates. Or, use a car cover. Apparently you must remove the outer fender to get to the cowl drain holes to clear them.

Also, pull the door dress panels -- the drain holes at the bottom of the doors must also be kept open.

At some point you'll want to remove the panel in the bed, to see what corruption has taken residence under there.

Good luck with it. You have the prettiest year of Ranchero, IMO.

16. seafoam71

seafoam71 In Third Gear

got a snag, C4 linkage needs to be restored w/new rubber grommets..couple days delay...burninbush, thanks for the tips and info. I will check into all of this. So far my floors look real solid in front, just surface rust, from what I can tell the rear floor is not rusted thru either. I will take pics when the seat and carpet comes out.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2010
  17. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I am in agreement on every one of BB's suggestions, and comments. It took me three 71's to get one worth restoring. The first two were heartbreakers. First one was decent, until I removed that bed panel, and inspected the cowl area. The second one, I was just lied to by the owner. Rust free and ready for paint,....my butt!!!

18. seafoam71

seafoam71 In Third Gear

I have removed the bed panel, got lucky.. only minor surface rust, same with spare cubbys. My mech remarked how orig the car was. The flywheel has the factory workers marks on it. Pulled up some pass side carpet still has the factory black stuff on most of the floor.

19. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

As long as yours looks better than this....

[​IMG]

And this.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...you should be OK.

20. seafoam71

seafoam71 In Third Gear

Thank the Lord...So far, so good...I wll get more pics soon. My car is only 3 wks old to me, and badly neglected. But I still can't find any serious rust.. The undercarriage (except for the orig 351 motor) is amazingly clean and rustfree .. But you guys (and gals) know the mechanics are first... right (?).

At this point the old 'Chero looks like she'll come back to life real good. I'm building mine to simply be a good solid driver, not a garage queen or showcar.

Over time, Yes.. I will put some dough into cosmetics, etc.