Shifting weirdness

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Johnnycoast, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Johnnycoast

Johnnycoast In Second Gear

Been a while since I've posted. Finally got the thing running, again. But here is a weird thing the ranchero does. When I start driving, at about 5 mph, the thing will down shift into first, then right back to the correct gear. It stays in first for only about a second. Then back on to the correct gear. It's almost like clock work. The shifts are strong, it doesn't seem to slip. (tho when it's cold it doesn't want to shift, but when it warms up, it shifts). The previous owner removed all of the kick down linkage. There is none.
    Wh does this tranny do this?
    Johnny

2. Gammz

Gammz In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

Perhaps your vacuum modulator is bad?

3. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Sounds like a valve body issue(line pressure, loose attaching bolts, debris in the valve bores or even a faulty/failed gasket). Cold shift issues may point to internal seal issues(lip seals). BTW, What trans are you dealing with?
    Here is a good place to ask ?'s about Ford automatics, very good and knowledgeable folks found there.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/260730
    Good luck.

4. Johnnycoast

Its a c4. Is it time for a rebuild? Can I pull the valve body and check it?

5. aquartlow

Did you check the condition of the trans fluid? I'd at least drop the pan and check for debris and/or filter blockage, while you are in there check the valve bolt to trans case bolt torque. If it's the internal seals that is the culprit, the best bet is a quality rebuild. Did you try the link above for advice on your trans?

6. Johnnycoast

Thanks for getting back to me.
    I just replaced the fluid and filter, but didn't check the valve bolt to trans case torque…(I did it about a week ago, before reading your last post). The fluid was clear or red, but there seemed to be a black film on the bottom of the inside of the pan… The vacuum line from the carb seems to be just stuck into the modulator. Ill get under there and fidget with it.
    I did join and post on the above list. Poking around there I see that these folks are very into transmissions! Lots of knowledge there for sure. But they didn't respond to my questions… Maybe figured I was a newbie and ignored me. Ill politely bug them again soon, maybe do a little more research first… Thanks for your help tho! Deffinatly gives me a direction.

7. Tom W. Sr.

Tom W. Sr. In First Gear

It sounds like a sticking shift valve, 1-2, 2-3 DO NOT drop your valve body with the transmission in the car unless you have rebuilt a few hundred automatic transmissions and know EXACTLY where the check balls go in the fluid circuits or even if they are still there. the check balls were made of a hard rubber and were worn away over time from the dirt in the transmission that bypasses the filter because it is too fine for the filter to trap. I have lost track of how many transmissions I rebuilt over the years when I WAS turning wrenchs.

Gammz likes this.
  8. Johnnycoast

Oh man,
    I suppose this is kind of a bummer. If I bought a rebuild kit, would it come with new check balls ?(funny name). I also suppose if I went to a transmission shop and asked them to check my check balls Id get a funny look…HA.
    But seriously, Im a great mr fix it, but a true mechanic is a true mechanic. If I took this to a shop that works on older cars, what do you all think a transmission rebuild would cost? isn't the cost of a new transmission from JEGS between $1200-$1500? Cant they just fix or rebuild the valve body? That might not be as expensive as a whole rebuild.

9. aquartlow

If you want to work on the valve body (and the ability to do so) or better yet, install a shift kit, just get a Transgo or B&M brand shift kit. They come with detailed instructions with pics and all the parts that are required for better shifts in an otherwise "sound" transmission. I haven't taken apart or worked on 100's of transmissions but I have put B&M and Transgo shift kits in one C4 and a few C6's with great results afterward(just lucky I guess). The C4's(IIRC, it's been almost 30 years ago) valve body had a couple plastic checkballs whereas the C6's all had steel checkballs. Just be careful, follow instructions and you should be fine, making sure you have a clean and level work area is paramount.

10. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

If you take that C4 out and bring it to a shop you should be able to get it rebuilt for less than $700.

Gammz likes this.
  11. Gammz

Gammz In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

I had my c4 for my ranchero built at my local shop and it was like 700 bucks or so. Keep in mind my was behind a 200 six cylinder. I did a 302 swap so she added some clutches and what not. I also bought a new servo and transgo shift kit. I bought that stuff on line and had them install it. Oh I almost forgot that I also had to buy a different torque converter. The shop got that for me. Total bill was 760 and change.

12. Johnnycoast

13. ribald1

Some get tired of a shift kit quite quickly. Others love them.
    I personally like feeling every shift, but others end up missing the smooth ride.

14. Johnnycoast

Good to know. I think Ill like the feel of a positive shift. Does the transgo kit also come with new check balls? The TCI kit says it comes with steel balls. Sounds better than plastic balls, tho I'm sure new plastic balls won't wear out for another 45 years…. If thats even the problem...

15. ribald1

The steel balls ensure firm shift, the plastic ones deform and dent, especially if fluid temps get high.
    If a tranny lasts 45 years without a rebuild the car was owned by an old lady that just drove it 1/4 mile to the mailbox every Saturday.

Gammz likes this.
  16. Johnnycoast

just got off of the phone with summit, I'm going to call and chat with transgo next. the summet guy suggested (same as aquartlow) that a shift kit might take care of the problem. The previous owner took off the kick down linkage, but if they left it inside the transmission, then maybe the left over linkage is tricking/messing with the shifts…

17. ribald1

Unless you keep your foot away from the go pedal, you would be well served by putting the downshift back together.
    It does much more than just kick the tranny down a gear when you tromp on it.
    It raises internal pressure to protect the clutches from excess wear, and raises the shift point.