shock/coil over springs

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by rangerlrp11, Aug 27, 2022.

1. rangerlrp11

rangerlrp11 In Second Gear

can the front and rear COIL SPRINGS and shocks -be replaced with a shock/coil over spring assembly on my 79 Ranchero -351 with a/c---- CARiD rep sent me gabriel 34073 and 43140 to replace both coil springs and shocks ??

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

In my humble opinion: the front, yes, if the spring rate is correct for the front axle weight rating. The rear, no. The shock mounts on the frame and axle tubes are too weak to handle the rear axle weight rating without reinforcement or modification.

Buds 67 likes this.
  3. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

If I understand the question correctly, both of those shocks appear to be a helper/boost spring
    to carry extra load or help sagging original springs but not replace them. Those are not for a coil over conversion.

4. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

those shocks appear to be a helper/boost spring
    to carry extra load or help sagging original springs but not replace them

Yes, those are typically called 'overload shocks', with a spring to help carry extra loads. I have a set on the back of my '65; they work well and lifted the back 3/4".

Overload shocks.JPG

5. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I went air shock route as that what was there when I bought the truck. If I need to change again I might be inclined to try the booster spring style.

6. thebruins

thebruins In Third Gear

I'm about to replace the 23 year old rear air shocks on my '99 Explorer with some regular shocks, but to keep the rear from sagging (Explorers with the rear air shocks option had softer rear springs) I was thinking about installing shocks with a helper spring. Do you have any numbers or experience on how much extra force would be put on the frame mounts and axle tubes by a helper spring shock?

7. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I used the shock w/helper springs on my 1990 F150 (front and rear) and was nothing but pleased with the results. Brought the truck back to level, the ride was normal, but the handling was greatly improved.

8. handy_andy_cv64

On an F-series truck, 1) the frame is designed to handle extreme loads, and 2) are attached in a different way in the vertical part of the frame, which means it could handle the shock loads, unlike the intermediates. Having said that, I still would not support the full loaded weight of an F-series on those framerails and attachment bolts.
    On the intermediate, if you want to control ride height, use air bags inside the coil springs.

9. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

I used coil overs on the rear, to give the car a little rake and to eliminate any chance of rabbit hop. pretty much the same as Beerbelly's. Seems to have worked.

10. handy_andy_cv64

But that's coil overs in addition to the factory springs, correct?

11. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

12. handy_andy_cv64

Got it, the rears are just regular replacements to go where the original ones are located. I took his description to mean removing the original springs, and only using on-shock springs.

13. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

We called them helper springs. Not enough to rip out the factory mounts but enough to stiffen up a floppy ride.

14. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I put 'em on after getting some tire rub hauling dirt:

Dirt hauler.jpeg

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  15. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Yes, factory leafs, with coil over shocks.

handy_andy_cv64 likes this.