Side post batteries

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by plumcolr, Nov 21, 2018.

1. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive

I just looked over a 2018 yukon. Noticed it had the old standby top post battery.

Did GM have an epiphany? Maybe fired the guy that came up with the side post idea, along with the genius that came up with the original dexcool?

Or are they preparing for another disaster with their 4-cyl pickup trucks?

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Top post batteries ever went away.
    Based on the cars that got side post batteries I always figured it was done for looks, function be damned.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Ugh. Just what i wanted to hear--'side-post batteries.' The automatic headlamps in my recently-acquired Buick just killed my battery last night by staying on all night. I could not, for love or money, get it to take a damned charge, seems it dropped a cell, and from the low voltage during the jumping, leads me to suspect the errant cell is shorted.
    Consequently, because I have no money, I can't get a battery right now, and have to drive the pickup until I fix Babe's electric choke.

4. plumcolr

Yeah, as far as I know, GM was the only one who used the side-posts, and I thought it was across their entire lineup from some time in the 90s until recently. Anyway, they are a PITA.

5. ribald1

04 Chevy Trakker I have is top post. 85 F250 was side post. Side post was used in many of the E series vans also.

6. plumcolr

Tracker that vintage was a suzuki re-badged. Dunno when side posts started, but looks like all domestic GM used them.

What are the good ol' boys gonna do for pipes with the turbo 4 cylinders?

7. ribald1

This one was made in Canada.
    At under 3000lbs, the little 2.5L V6 pushes it right along.

8. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

The battery in my 97 c1500 has both side and top posts! I have to be careful not to loose the protective caps for the top posts on it though. Useful if you have to recharge It, hooking a charger up to sidepost batteries is a pain.

9. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

The Challenger battery has side posts and is located in the trunk. Jumping it is done from the posts located in the engine bay.

10. handy_andy_cv64

The Buick also has a positive post on the underhood fuse box and then you connect negative to one of the strut mount nuts, or to the bellhousing bolt stud that the negative cable's connected to. And even with that, I could not get the Buick to start, as the bottom would fall out of the voltage every time I hit the key.

11. ribald1

That is generally referred to as a bad cable connection.

12. handy_andy_cv64

Yes, John, I already checked/cleaned those. It still does the same thing. I don't know how many GM (let alone other manufacturer's) cars I've brought to life just from cleaning the battery cable connections. This time, that's not it.

13. ribald1

Worded that way Andy, you have a point.
    However, you boxed yourself into a corner, the kind of corner that prevents diagnosis.
    Voltage drop can only occur across a resistance unless the load exceeds the capacity of the battery. In the case of an car, that is 800-1200 amps.
    A load like that would start turning the wires a nice rosy red.

14. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Andy, did your jumper actually connect to the end of the cable or just the post and nut at the fuse box ? GM had to replace many of those posts due to bad metallurgy, the post may not conduct electricity, many literally melt shutting the car off completely. Great GM quality - - -

15. handy_andy_cv64

A) I believe the short is internal to the battery itself; B ) the lugs at the fuse block and bellhousing are clean, as I checked them as part of the corrosion removal. The battery was stone dead when I went to jump it (I have my electrical work box in the trunk), and even with the truck engine turning around 2000 RPM, the voltage was never over 11.5 or so, and this is after running the truck for five minutes between each attempt to crank the Buick. The voltage dropped below 5 on each attempt.

16. handy_andy_cv64

My friend, whom I am buying the Buick from, graced me with an early Christmas gift, a new replacement battery, so I swapped them out, the parts of the cable connectors were still clean, so I'm sure the old battery dropped a cell. The engine fired up, the alternator was charging around 14.6 volts or so, and I took the car for a drive to start the relearn on shift points and idle speed.

17. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The reason GM went to side post (actually two): As cars became more aero, the hoods moved downward, so the engineers moved the terminals away from hood contact because metal hoods don't make good fuses. Secondly, in testing, they found there was less corrosion around the terminals with the side post design.

Ta da!!!

ForistellFord likes this.
  18. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive

My van has a top post battery. One side says + and the other says -. Hope that's normal.

19. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Connect them using your hood. It's the only way.

ForistellFord likes this.
  20. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive

I do. Runs good.

TestDummy likes this.