Size of Last Gen Rancheros

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by SouthCarolinaRanchero, Nov 8, 2020.

1. SouthCarolinaRanchero

SouthCarolinaRanchero In Third Gear

Was talking to a guy yesterday and he claims the 77 to 79 Ranchero's are the same length (size) as the 72 to 76 models.
    The 77-79 look longer and larger to me....who's right?

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

They're all built on the intermediate chassis, which if I'm correct, didn't change from '72 to '79. But the laws concerning bumpers changed in '73(?), so their fitment, at least on the front, made them longer than the '72 Fishmouths, but depending on the design, could be longer or shorter for each group of years.

3. SouthCarolinaRanchero

SouthCarolinaRanchero In Third Gear

Ah......yeah the bumpers sure are bigger.
    I drove a 79 a few months back and it felt bigger all around than my 76 or this 73 I have now...hood looks longer too.

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I had a '74 years ago, and it had a bit of a different (loose) feel, but as I made repairs, it behaved a bit more firmly. Babe just has that firmness, and has had it since I rebuilt her column.

Jeff B. likes this.
  5. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I hope like he!! Andy is right because I'm going to poke headers in on a 77 that are "universal" and the header companies wont even talk to you about headers north of 73. I'm doing the Patriot "Clipster" mid length headers on my 357 Midnight Special. Of course it will be custom from the headers on back if they fit between the frame rails. If they don't I have a hammer a torch and a welder. To the original topic the bumpers on a stock 77 can be pushed back a LOOOOONNG way before hitting the stops and you will crush the filler plates if you do. I'm thinking I'm going to chop my filler plates and push the bumper back via the slide in parts and may even trim them to "French" the front bumper in. There was like a FOOT of "crumple zone" on those cars, on the "Horns" under the blinker lights you have about 3" before the bumper gets to them which is where I am pushing back to. I'll trim the filler bits for max set back but leave them under the upper bumper. As it is the front end has to come off because I cant get the motor back in if the nose is on. Good time to re wire the lighting rats nest that is in the core support. As well as paint.

Cheers,

Doc

6. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

When I grafted a 72 hood to my 79 to get the scoop I measured both hoods. They are exactly the same measurements which worked out because the underside had to be switched so the outer casting would have something to bolt to. The 77-79 nose is the same as a 74-76 Torino Elite except for the header panel with stacked rectangle headlights even using the same hood as the Elite for the headlight bulges. Cordobas and Monte Carlos switched from single round lamps to the stacked square ones the same year. Funny how all three look like the same guy designed the look of the front. It was a automotive trend going from performance to personal luxury theme. The LTD II Sport replaced the Cougar bodied Elite. What little difference in length is the chrome plated railroad tie hanging on the front which was for government crash requirements.