So, I dragged a 69 six cylinder home with me yesterday

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Boiler92, Nov 10, 2019 at 7:44 AM.

1. Boiler92

Boiler92 In First Gear

Hi all. Greetings from Indiana. New here obviously. Looking forward to participating in this site, learning and helping when I can. Anyhow, I picked this 1969, 6 cyl, auto up yesterday locally. It runs as you can see in the vid but it's not without issues. The gas tank is very rusty inside and has a major league dent, so in the vid it's running from a tube from a gallon gas can, 4 wheel drums are shot, the floor boards need help, interior needs re-done, there is some bubbling under the vinyl top but the headliner is removed and looks clean from inside the cab so hopefully it's not too terrible under the vinyl. Has some bondo here and there and some dents but outside of the floor pan nothing else underneath is rotten. I do have the bench seat for it and it's in good shape. The seller removed it to work on the floor but never go around to it.

I'm an original type guy so even though it's a straight 6 that is what it will continue to be. Probably keep drums all around too but we'll see. It was originally a gold color but I'm going to deviate from that and go with black. Black and chrome suits me much better than gold. I would like to keep original paint scheme but I just don't think I can handle the gold unless I can come up with an acceptable Gold and Black combo.

On the plus side, it runs, has most if not all of the trim pieces mostly in good shape (the pieces missing in the vid were given to me, tires are in very good shape, bed seems to be in good shape. For those wondering, I gave $3,000 for it. I probably could have talked the seller down a bit more but I thought it was fair. Wasn't going to haggle and try to get down to $2500 or some such. In the end it would not make a difference to me with the amount of time and money I'll ultimately have in it.

Hope this video link works:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 7:51 AM
  2. Boiler92

Boiler92 In First Gear

Here's a little longer video overview. Just shot a few minutes ago.

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

welcome not a bad start starting point but do not expect to recoup the money spent on restoring it not trying to discourage you but the desire for these is just not there

4. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

5. Boiler92

Boiler92 In First Gear

Yeah, I know. I'm an empty nester with too much time on my hands needing a project. I've looked at Mustangs and Camaros and others and have come to the conclusion there is no money to be made unless you have something really rare and do a near concours resto. That is way beyond my budget and skill level. The more desirable stuff is either already redone or is a rusty roller or in a thousand pieces and all owned by people that think they have gold on their hands.

I'm hoping to keep this under $10k total investment and be a driver that I'm not ashamed of I can take to get ice cream or lawn mower gas in the summer. That's all. Not looking to flip it. Like I said, the youngest of my 3 kids flew the coup a couple years ago and I've got time on my hands now.

Besides all that, I think it'll be cool and that's good enough for me, no matter who may disagree. I've already been told I should put a 302 or 351 or even a Coyote in it. Not worth it to me. At all.

Thanks for the reply and the links.

6. Boiler92

Boiler92 In First Gear

7. 65restomod

65restomod In Fourth Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Welcome to the site, as so many have said before there are lots of people here to help you spend your money and offer real and imagined help.
    A good base to start with. There are some good companies for floor pan patch panels but I am not one to recommend any because I did not need them.
    Any questions just ask, someone will get back to you.
    How about this fuel tank?https://www.autokrafters.com/p-2192...ery-squire-20-gallon-capacity-d0oz-9002c.aspx

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 12:21 PM
  8. Boiler92

Boiler92 In First Gear

That one looks like it, now that I've spent the last hour or so pulling the dent out of mine. Lol.

Thanks!

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If you are looking for an awesome color combo, black and gold are complementary to each other. Say, one color the overall color, the other, the accent striping. Black with gold C-stripe, or gold with black C-stripe would be equally striking. There are parts for uprating these inline sixes, and swapping to a Pertronix Igniter II or such electronic ignition would improve reliability and reduce maintenance; and IIRC, the 250 CID block has the Windsor bellhousing, so swapping in an Automatic Overdrive and taller rear gears would increase your low-end performance while keeping the engine in a more favorable RPM range for MPG, cooling and overall longevity at highway speeds.

10. 65restomod

65restomod In Fourth Gear BRONZE MEMBER

And you can convert front drum brakes to disc if you want.
    They have kits for 4 lug (if that's what you have) If you have 5 lug they have kits for that also.
    See. I told you people will help you spend money! It'll never end:)

11. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

welcome aboard. Looking forward to seeing the progress of your new project. Leaving the six in there i think is a great idea. good reliable little engine that will not break the bank. This does look like a great start to a project. the bed looks great and that is usually a very rough spot on these trucks. Take care ,Dan the ranchero man

12. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, the blocks of the smaller 6-cylinder engines has 7 main bearings, which prevent whipping the crankshaft at speed, and the rockers are adjustable, so a bumpier camshaft is doable, with the correct length pushrods.