Spark plug diagnosis?1990 5.0 efi mass air

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by LSChero, Jan 20, 2019.

1. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Just rolled 1200 miles on 5.o efi build and little disappointed with performance.Getting 18 mpg average,but seems like motor wants more fuel/air?Do plugs look lean? All stock lower,addition of gt4o intake,alum. gt40 1.94,175 cfm X heads,headers.New o2s,tps.Was getting detination/popping noise in intake.Went to 91 oct and
    seems to have stopped.Runs smooth,no operating codes.This motor is a dog compared to 73 stock 5.0 with 130k!
    I do need to change rear gears(2.79) to 3.50 but damn its slow.
    SAM_4343.JPG

2. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

This chart may help john.. lean look to me , i put 3:25 in my rear made a world of difference
    [​IMG]

LSChero likes this.
  3. LSChero

Yeh,thats what I was thinking.Had 19# CV 4 hole injectors in,put stock 19# squirters back in today.No improvement.Dont have gauge to check pump pressure.
    Could be weak,junk yard unit.May even go 3.73 with the driving I do here.

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The CV/Exploder 'thin' 4-hole injectors should be a fair improvement, but did you read the datastream, test O2 sensor bias by forcing rich/lean conditions, and does the exhaust have 1/2 to 1 PSI backpressure?

5. LSChero

Dont think OBD1 will run datastream Andy.If i had VSS hooked up,could run cyl balance KOER.Ran compression test when had plugs out,all good 160/165#.
    Went into town today and couldnt get it pop through intake,ran perfect.Had a shop check injector rail presser, good at constant 39 psi.Probably should have invested the 20$ in new gauge for MY tool box..Going to dump codes,drive for a while let it relearn.Hopefully sputter wont return.

6. handy_andy_cv64

Ford EEC IV has datastream from '91. I seem to recall, yours was mid-'90s.

7. handy_andy_cv64

Oops, I just noted the title of the thread. Which means break out the DVM and start manually checking the sensors one at a time.