Special Delivery

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TestDummy, Jul 14, 2019.

1. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Look what arrived at my house last week. It is filthier than it's ever been, from the 600 mile trailer ride from Michigan (driver said he got a lot of beeps and thumbs up during the driver). Looks pretty good underneath. Has a header leak, which is annoying (hopefully loose bolt and not gasket). Spark knocks like a mother (timing and gas). I did some fabricating on a pickup truck plate bracket to get it to fit the front. Only had to drill two small holes in the bottom of the inner bumper bracket. No big deal

filthy.jpg
    upskirt.jpg

front plate.jpg

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

COOL Dad gave you his Ranchero!!!!!!! didn't 71s have side markers?

andrewok1 and ForistellFord like this.
  3. 62restomod

62restomod In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

now why can't I find one like that!!!
    With that said CEO says to knock it off for now big bills are coming in this time of the year

ForistellFord likes this.
  4. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Very nice! Great colors and best Ranchero body style ever. Well, except for the '64/65 square bodies...

Jimbob and colnago like this.
  5. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Test Dummy didn't just find that Ranchero. That represents many dinero and hours of work on Sean's part with the normal life getting in the way stoppages we all know about. Sean did a gracious move by letting his Dad have his last automotive fling by finishing up the work Sean had nearly completed. He let Dad drive and enjoy that Ranchero until Dad's eyesight gave out and he wisely gave up driving. Really feel for his Dad but now the Ranchero is finally reunited with it's builder. Time to invest in some form of a carport now Sean.

6. 62restomod

62restomod In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Thank you for the the details , I had no idea I have humbled myself.

7. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Yeah he built that dang thing from the ground up. Then his Dad took it and 'finished' it, God bless him. Deleted the side marker lights, had a hack friend do some bad things to it. And now that the engine is ruined he gave it back.

TestDummy likes this.
  8. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Probably just "tune" and not ruined... I seem to recall the vast majority of the work was done before dad received the gracious gift for his enjoyment, I'm sure Sean will correct me if I'm wrong. I only recall one event (the floor shifter fitment and trim out) that was an exciting episode which is presumably corrected by this time.

9. ForistellFord

I'll let Sean decide if he wants to go into detail with the engine damage.

His dad is a good guy. I made him sound bad. That's just the rough timeline of events since Sean neared completion of the project. His pop isn't malicious or uncaring, he just didn't see the beauty and feel the attachment to it that Sean-o did.

TestDummy likes this.
  10. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Being you two are joined a the butt I'll concede you know more about it than I.

11. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Nothing to be humble about if you didn't know the history. Real fuel and a carefull tuneup will solve that ruined engine.

12. ForistellFord

If he's keeping it, he will share. If he's selling it, then I have no idea what I'm talking about!!!!! Runs like a dream!!!!!!!

TestDummy and The Wrench like this.
  13. TestDummy

Carl is Carl. Like a bug bite.

The engine may be toast. It runs, but does some stuff it shouldn't be doing (blowing oil smoke under load, etc.). My Dad is a wonderful generous guy. He is also a bricklayer, not a car guy, really. He ran it with the break in oil for about a year, whereas I would have changed it after a day. It's been spark knocking forever because he's been running weak gas in it and the timing was too far advanced. I once tried to get it running better, but he liked how it ran, so stopped (Dad is also very set in his ways, so arguing is pointless). I adjusted the carb, leaning it out a bit, and retarded the timing to around 8° BTDC vs 18°. It is crispy responsive, but when I did a launch, the front end came up, the tires lit up, then it backfired through the carb and about died. Looking in the mirror there was more oil smoke than tire smoke. It seems to run okay, but only putzing around, which is all he ever did with it. May as well be a 6 banger the way he drove it. And don't get me started on the transmission issues.

14. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

She's a pretty ride my friend!! Let me know when the barn raising is, I got's tools an' know how to use them.

Cheers,

Doc

TestDummy likes this.
  15. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Good looking ride Sean at least the exterior and hopefully the interior are in good shape the motor work is the easy part, you'll get her back in shape. How many miles on the motor. ?

TestDummy likes this.
  16. TestDummy

Every nut and bolt has been removed and restored, in and out, top and bottom. The interior is new, complete with 'new' Jeep Wrangler seat belts and retractors. Easiest swap, ever.

17. TestDummy

Thanks. First off I'm going to have a gravel laying, then later a concrete pouring, then a barn raising. Sending my daughter to VCU this fall, so probably none of that will happen.

andrewok1 and ForistellFord like this.
  18. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

How many mi on the motor. ?

19. ForistellFord

Answer him Sean! He's asked twice now!

TestDummy likes this.
  20. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

Your Dad put Detriot on the map with that there Beauty ,take good care of it

TestDummy likes this.