Special Delivery

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TestDummy, Jul 14, 2019.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hillbilly's on the right track. I did a poor power/die-out diagnosis on an '89 Cougar 3.8L, turned out to be bad intake sealing. Sussed that out with a can of carb cleaner, confirmed it with a smoke test. Pull and cover the PCV, then shoot the cleaner into the PCV grommet at idle. If there's a leak, just like under a carb or the outside of an intake, the engine speed and note will change.

2. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I hadn't heard that one before, but I like it! I'll have to squirrel that away in my bag 'o tricks!

Joseph

3. handy_andy_cv64

The best way to put it, is that for every symptom, there's at least two causes, and usually more. All the more reason for diagnosing the problem, rather than just throwing parts at it.

4. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Sean If I am understanding you correctly you have vacuum pulling into the valve cover with out the PVC being installed. As Petey suggested sounds like lower intake manifold leak I would pull intake and check gaskets that motor has been together long enough the gaskets should tell the story.

pmrphil likes this.
  5. handy_andy_cv64

I totally agree. I honestly think, no matter the problem, a valve cover/ intake removal is the next step.

6. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Wiped cam and bad rings? I don't know. At the time I was pissed off frustrated. Later, after a scotch, I figured it out.

There was sooooo much vacuum in the crankcase I'm surprised it didn't suck all the gaskets into it. So much.

Anyway, I pulled off the intake yesterday and found there to be at least 4 ports with busted gasket material around them, mostly #2 and #3. The crap gasket was brittle and crumbled as I removed it. Garbage. I'm surprised there wasn't a coolant leak, actually. I'm going to buy some really good gaskets, steel core, which should fix everything. The cam lobes look awesome. The long block assembly is stout. This thing should be a mean SOB after it's put together and tuned correctly. The header leak is annoying, because it won't be an easy fix. I sort of wish I had normal cast manifolds on it.
    intake gasket (719x800).jpg

ForistellFord likes this.
  7. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yikes! "Well there's your problem". But it must feel good to find the issue instead of chasing ghosts.

8. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Any chance you remember what brand those gaskets were ? Look like FelPro Printo Seals but there were copy cats that appeared identical. Seen a ton of bad ones starting around the mid 90's, mostly on the 350 Chevys from the factory. Just for giggles clean it all up then eyeball the manifold fit without gaskets. You know what you'll be looking for.

9. TestDummy

I wouldn't have put garbage on there, but apparently did. I'm sure they were FelPro, even though I couldn't see anything embossed on there.

When building this thing the first time, on an engine stand, everything lined up. What I think happened is it wasn't torqued down. Last week I found most of the bolts were loose. A lot was happening back then. I was trying to get the thing together enough so I could store it at my Father in laws in Michigan (I had already moved to VA). Then Dad took over.

10. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Excuses are like, well...

TestDummy likes this.
  11. TestDummy

Truth be told, it was very hectic. I'd come home for one weekend, once a month, and try to get as much as I could done, while spending time with the kids and wife, and dog. I can't like your post. Sorry.

12. ForistellFord

So what was the specific distracting activity that led you to intentionally choose a POS gasket system?

13. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

If they were FelPro the logo is embossed somewhere on the carrier material. Easy enough to get sidetracked, life sometimes has a way of causing that. Your plate was over full back in that time frame. Never trust the initial torque to be enough, especially with an aluminum intake. Heat cycle the engine and go over the bolts at least three times after each heat and cool cycle. Amazing how much the metal and gaskets can move. Trust but verify multiple times. Hindsight ain't the same thing as an excuse, s--t happens.

14. TestDummy

Came with the manifold? How the hell am I supposed to remember something so insignificant at that. It was over 12 years ago.

15. ForistellFord

Excuses are like, well...

16. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Way back in the olden days... (with no apologies to anyone rolling their eyes at that intro...) sage wisdom was AFTER the initial break-in run of the engine (the twenty minute or so one following first start), one was expected to break out the torque wrench and run through the torque sequence on the intake bolts as they often would be loose after that first heat cycle. I've done that on all my rebuilds, and usually got through them again after a week, then a month just to be sure. My selective memory recalls that I've had more than one engine with one or more intake bolts that are loose even though I know that they were properly tightened during assembly.

I truly suspect that you DID NOT fail to tighten them during build - I would bet (if there was a way to win it at this late stage) that once it went through a heat cycle or 200 the intake settled in and the bolts were just loose from that. JMHO. YMMV.

Hillbilly likes this.
  17. ForistellFord

Assumes facts not in evidence. He *did* say he was terribly busy then, you know. He probably hand tightened them then promptly forgot. He would do that. He was busy, busy busy!!!

18. TestDummy

I wasn't around when it was fired up. That was fathers doing. Just like waiting a year to change the oil.

19. ForistellFord

Blaming others is also a sign of a cheapskate.

20. TestDummy

:rolleyes: