Special Delivery

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TestDummy, Jul 14, 2019.

1. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

ill-time humor1.jpg

Before the advent of the no-retorque head gaskets we used to have to put a heat soak on an engine and then retorque the heads. The procedure used to be that you lit the engine off, ran it in to operating temperature to break in the cam and such, then you re-torqued the head bolts and intake bolts. Methinks that when the new no retorque gaskets came out everyone forgot about checking the intake bolts.

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

FF isn't that good looking. Or skinny. And his teeth aren't that nice. Other than that, spot on.

3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Not intending on complicating your world Sean. I see that the exhaust passages crossing under the intake are open on your heads. That passage on the bottom of the intake get's incredibly hot. Hot enough to cause oil splattered from the lifters to form a grungy mess on the bottom of the intake and that mess of carboned oil eventually falls off to end up in your oil pump screen. Ford had two methods to combat this problem. One was a tin heat shield riveted to the bottom of the intake to deflect the oil, the other was a pan built into the intake side port gaskets that covered the entire lifter gallery. Commonly called a "Turkey Pan" gasket set. Doesn't look like you have CJ or SCJ sized ports so a turkey pan gasket set should fit under your aftermarket intake. Something to keep the oil off that hot spot on the manifold is needed or resign yourself to yanking the intake and cleaning the grung out about every five years. Investigate this option before you put it back together Bro.

4. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Hey yeah, I forgot about the ol' turkey pan. Been years!!

5. TestDummy

Not turkey neck, turkey pan.
    I put the intake in our parts cleaner and brushed it off. The bottom was cleaner than the top, so I'm good. No worries.

ForistellFord likes this.
  6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I hate those damned things. I was installing a stock pan/intake gasket combo on an Olds 350, sliced my effing left thumb open, and I was being triply careful! I just do not like the fact they don't have any gasket material adhered to the intake gasket sides, to prevent that.

7. TestDummy

At least Pontiac had a reusable pan. That Olds gasket was huge, and, as you said, razor sharp.

8. Hillbilly

All those turkey pans could hurt ya, I think anyone who installed one got sliced.

9. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I had to deal with a turkey pan on my FE, but I didn't think Ford used them for the Windsor. Incidentally, on my FE, it used BOTH the turkey pan and a shield riveted to the bottom of the intake.

Joseph

10. TestDummy

I remember the riveted shield, on Chevy's. Hard to clean under them.

11. Hillbilly

All it took was grab the rivet head with a small vise-grip then simply unscrew them. Going back you just tapped them back in with a small hammer.

12. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Does anyone have a source for those rivets? I had a 4BBL intake that was missing one, so I had to steal one from a 2BBL intake because I couldn't find one to buy. I guess some guys drill and tap the hole, then use a stainless bolt instead.

Joseph

13. TestDummy

We used to hammer asset tags on tractors with those screw rivets (scrivets). Drill a 1/8" hole anywhere, and hammer it on.

14. handy_andy_cv64

Funny thing is, about oil on the bottoms of the intakes and inside the roaster pans, if you keep you oil changed religiously, every 3K miles whether severe duty or not, the current oils have the superb ability to not break down and/or carbon up. If you've noticed, Pennzoil and Quaker State no longer use mineral oil base stock for making lube oils, because they cannot chemically 'scrub' the paraffin from it. So they now cheaply synthesize base oil from natural gas, which has almost zero paraffin. And full syn oils nowadays are even better because they break down crunge found in engines, carry it to the filter. In a handful of thousands of miles of use, your engine is very clean inside. I think I once posted pics of the engine out of the '93 Taurus I gave to my niece, and it was spotless after I drove it on synthetic for twenty-some-odd thousand miles. It was quite dirty before I got the car myself; I helped to do the valve cover gaskets, and it was disgusting.

15. Hillbilly

I believe your assessment of modern oil is on the money, Andy. In the past I noticed engines subjected to long hot interstate runs were most likely to grow crud in the lifter gallery. I didn't have that problem because I changed the oil at the 3,000 mile mark religiously. Anyway, not seeing that nowdays thanks to better oils. Synthetic oils rule !

16. TestDummy

Glad I decided not to add a turkey pan.

17. 72GTVA

Synthetic great - no ZDDP, NOT great. Flat cam city without some help.

Hillbilly likes this.
  18. handy_andy_cv64

So step up to the high technology plate...graduate to a roller cam. I will be, when I start my EFI upgrade...whenever that will be....

19. 72GTVA

You sure do like to suggest I spend a lot of highdollarnicetohavebuck$$$$$$$... geeeeeeeeez!

TestDummy likes this.
  20. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

It's always easy to spend someone else's money! ;)

Joseph

ForistellFord likes this.