Speedo help

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by New Guy, Feb 22, 2019.

1. New Guy

New Guy In First Gear

So I replaced the bad speedo cable on my '57 Ranchero with a new one. The end of the old one was twisted and shredded where it goes into the speedo. Worked great for about 20 miles and while driving I heard a crack and the speedo needle dropped to "0" and it started clicking (faster when I speeded up and slower when I slowed down). Pulled the new cable out, looked it over and found nothing wrong and it turned freely. Pulled the speedo out and found out that it is locked. The part in the back where the cable goes in is jammed, meaning when I stick the cable in it wont turn. I'm thinking there I something lodged inside the housing from the old cable. Looking at the speedo it looks like it is non serviceable. I plan on replacing the unit with another one. Doing research it looks like the units are the same through the years. Am I right? Can it be replaced with a unit from a different year?

New Guy

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'm always leering coming to threads with Speedo or Tranny in the title.....yet, here I am.

Good question, though. I took my odometer apart to set it back to 00000.0 when I rebuilt my 70, and it wasn't that difficult. Can't imagine they are that different.

3. New Guy

New Guy In First Gear

Yeah, the odometer part is not difficult, it's back of the unit where the cable goes in that I need to get to.

Judging from the photos I have seen they look the same.

New Guy

4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

***Take this with a HUGE degree of caution***

- I just went through all of the parts books I've got available and any/all service parts for speedometers have numbers from the 1950's series prefixes which suggests that the mechanical parts for speedometers through the years our cars were built use basically the same guts, and generally what changed were the faces. I also went out and checked a couple of speedometer heads that I had access to (Ford full size LTD/Galaxie, Mustang and Torino) and measurements wise the speedometer heads appear to be the same on a somewhat closer than casual inspection. I would look at the head from my vehicle, and the available head to replace it and if dimensions match for mounting, attachment head/face arrangement, and odometer placement in your face I'd be willing to try and see if it works, my bet is that it would. FWIW, the speedometer needle is tension/press fit (just gently pull it out and carefully replace it once you have swapped faces, being careful to align the needle with zero (I know, stating the obvious...)).

***Take this with a HUGE degree of caution***

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

This should be a preface for every post on a help thread.

Kiwirancher and Carl Steinbarger like this.
  6. New Guy

New Guy In First Gear

It is scary working on delicate pieces and no coffee before.

New Guy

TestDummy likes this.
  7. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Just go by the Bikini Beans and order your coffee decaf...

8. New Guy

New Guy In First Gear

9. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

I ended up getting a new unit for my '64 from Scott Drake. I got one through eBay, but it didn't work. The guy sent me another for free, but it didn't work, either. I finally gave up and went to Scott Drake (hopefully, I'll get it installed tomorrow). Not sure if he carries one for a '57, though.

Joseph

10. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

I once used Redline at

https://www.redlineg.com

I used them to convert my '75 GT tach to run off a modern ignition system. I would definitely call them about speedometer repairs.

11. New Guy

New Guy In First Gear

Thanks for the Redline info.

12. New Guy

New Guy In First Gear

Up date on the speedo. I found a used instrument cluster at a good price. I now have a working speedometer.

New Guy