spin-on gasoline fuel filter

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Clark, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Any one convert there Ranchero for a spin-on gasoline fuel filter? Here I'm thinking with fuel injection.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I haven't, but I owned an '83 Colony Park, built in October '82, that had the Central Fuel Injection, which had a factory spin-on filter, whereas all Panthers '83 and newer had the newer setup using the Motorcraft FG-800A filter used on all EEC-IV cars. That is the setup you should use, because back when I had my wagon, finding the proper spin-on filter was a bitch then. I finally found out I had a better time finding filters for an '82 Lincoln Mark VI.

3. Clark

Back to spin-on fuel filters. I see NAPA sells a nice looking general purpose spin-on fuel filter mount (NAPA 4770, same as WIX 24770). I see this generally used for diesel fuel. Any chance this can be used for pressured gasoline in a fuel injected vehicle? The central thread is a 1"-14.

Looks like a Fram P1105 uses the 1"-14 thread and can be used for either gasoline or diesel.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 9:16 PM
  4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I don't see why not, shouldn't impact your pressure and might be a little easier to change.

What are you trying to accomplish?

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

My 460, being an ex-marine, came with a ton of things used exclusively on boats; manifolds, thermostat housing, engine mounts, bellhousing, which I sold. I kept the stuff I was planning to use, including the external oil and fuel filter mounts and houses. I ended up selling those too because there really isn't much room in the engine compartment after you stick a 460 in it. This is what the fuel filter mount looked like. And now that I found this pic, I wonder if I still have it somewhere.

[​IMG]

6. Clark

I ask because someone has really buggered up the connections to the fuel filter with my 2002 Ranger and I need to fix this. However, I still like the idea for my '75 GT.

TestDummy likes this.
  7. handy_andy_cv64

Since it's an '02, it's likely you can still obtain new replacement parts. Buggered-up connections, and attempts to repair said connections, can end up inviting you to an impromptu carbecue. As for the '75, if you do a spin-on, that diesel filter will not work if you intend on using a pressurized gas system. The filter media has zero support against tearing, as specific EFI filters do. So if you do a spin-on, use the Ford parts and the filter for an '82 Mark VI. Otherwise, go with the EEC-IV design with the FG-800A/Fram G-3802A.

8. Clark

Contacted WIX. They tell me the NAPA 4770 or WIX 24770 spin-on base is fine for fuel injected gasoline applications. They also sent me a list of filters suitable for either gasoline or diesel.

9. handy_andy_cv64

Huh, then that's a good thing to know. There must be diesel trucks that use in-tank pumps to deliver fuel to the engine.