starter solenoid wireing help

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Warrens'72, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Warrens'72

Warrens'72 In Third Gear

well the rest of the harness is complete and the only loose ends I have left to figure out is how they attach to the solenoid and that little junction block thingy:eek:...( which is broken,,,what's the actual part name for it, and where can I get one?)
    If some one has a close-up pic of thier set-up that would be great!
    It's a 72- 500 w/351 C 2V:D
    Warren

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

I do not have pics of the stock wiring ( mine Is modified) but I may have an extra Junction block hangin around. I am assuming you are talking about the Amp gauge wiring.

3. Warrens'72

Warrens'72 In Third Gear

4. Warrens'72

Warrens'72 In Third Gear

was thinkin' of fabing a junction block...but if u have one:D
    my parts guy here just gave me one of those "are you kidding" looks:(

5. George Zinn

George Zinn In Third Gear

Starter solenoid, junction block

For junction blocks, single post or multiple, try www.mcmaster.com. The single post one is p/n 9365T4 @ $25. They have multiple post blocks also ( in their on line catalog you want "High-Amp Distribution Blocks & Bars 738") (the 738 is the catalog page #). If you order from them, typically you get next day or second day arrival). If that is not good for you, the Marine/boat supply houses carry these blocks, but may want more $

6. Warrens'72

Warrens'72 In Third Gear

how 'bout a diagram for this system...the ones I've come across do not show the junction block in the mix:confused:

7. George Zinn

George Zinn In Third Gear

Starter solenoid wiring

Sorry, I don't have a diagram for the 72 and don't know if colors changed over the years, this might help:
    1. The only cable connected to the firewall side of the solenoid (the left hand terminal in your 4430 pict) should be the starter cable.
    2. the small left hand terminal (same picture) should only have one wire that goes to the plus terminal of your coil (you can chase it down with a DVM and not worry about color).
    3. the small terminal on the right should have one wire that goes to the start terminal of your ignition switch (you could verify/find this one by measuring for continuity from this wire to the battery + cable when the ignition switch is held over to start.... you may need a helper or very long arms).
    4. all of the rest should have the large lugs and go to the right hand terminal, this of course includes the + battery cable.

This is just one method, I'm sure other guys would use various approaches. If your vehicle has been "toyed" with previously by others, You may want to use this approach to find any thing funny. Might want to check to see if any of the large terminal wires are connected directly to ground. Sometimes grounds end up mounted to the fender well in this area.

The junction block thing does work out nice since the terminal on the solenoid can get mighty crowed.

8. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

My brain is trying to tell me there's a 'shunt' in that part that feeds an amp gauge? If you were to search 'wiring diagram' on this site you'd probably find a jpg that 72gtva has put up a few times. [not factory, but maybe useful]

9. Warrens'72

Warrens'72 In Third Gear

Thanx for the info guys...and guess what...I had the answer here the whole time...I totaly forgot about my poor ol 72 F-100 w/390...she's wired the same way, so I got's me a live diagram to follow!:D

10. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Sorry Warren the junction block I have is the wrong one. I am not sure if the truck uses a shunt and junction block for the amp gauge.