Starter went out time to get a new one but......

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by Cullen McTaggart, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Cullen McTaggart

Cullen McTaggart In Third Gear SILVER MEMBER

So my car has been starting good in the morning when it's cold but after it would start to crank really slow and if my lights were on they would dim and not start. Well now i go to start it and i get nothing the lights and everything come in but no crank no tick from the solenoid. Nothing. I have a 351c with a c4 I'm just gonna replace both the starter and solenoid any tips on what to get thanks.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

First, is the cabling in good condition? Is it original? Have you charged and load-tested the battery? Are the cable terminals clean and in good condition? Any of those items in not-very-good condition will contribute to or just be further breakdowns.

3. handy_andy_cv64

After that, if you want to do so, you can update your starting system with a PMGR starter. I did so, using positive cabling from a late '90s Explorer, and it's great. I also use a Group 65 that fits right in. The battery charge lasts longer if you have to crank a lot (such as when your rig sits for days or more), and it spins the engine at a very good clip, making starting much easier.

4. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

No click from the solenoid could implicate the starter switch, part of the main ignition switch located on top of the steering column. Easy enough to test if that is the problem, just try a jumper wire from the battery to the small post on the solenoid**; that should always get you a click and starter action if the battery isn't just about dead. An outside possibility is the grounding of the solenoid case, which must have a clear path to the chassis through the mounting bolts. Or it could be just a bad starter or a weak battery.

** on my car it is the small post farthest away from the battery -- could be different on your car.

5. handy_andy_cv64

Since it's a 351C, it originally had points, so it might still have both terminals if you haven't gone to electronic ignition, but each of those terminals are marked S and I (or S if one post) and the trigger wire's color is red with blue stripe.

6. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

I had that happen to mine some years back 351-c with c-4 ,/it was my alternator short to ground /FIRST DISCONNECT BATTERY /disconnect ALTERNATOR power wire tape it up good do not let it rest on metal even tapped it could make contact /reconnect battery and try STARTING ,you have nothing to lose by trying this good luck ANDY

7. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

DO NOT FORGET TO TAPE OFF THAT ATERNATOR WIRE

8. Cullen McTaggart

Cullen McTaggart In Third Gear SILVER MEMBER

So i went out just to see if it would crank and she started up like nothing ever happened now what?

9. handy_andy_cv64

Sounds like a connection somewhere is not all that tight. Snug up the plug on the red/blue stripe wire, and keep an eye on it. Also, next time, cycle the key 2 or three times; if the ignition electrical switch is worn out, doing that might get it to work.