Steering wheel size

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Doc76251, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Silly question but, what is the diameter for a 77 -79 stock Ranchero/T-bird.......... steering wheel. I have this little 14" thing and it is annoying me.

OBTW looking for a steering column w/ tilt from a non automatic 1977 - 79 something

Cheers,

Doc

2. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Think stock wheel is 15" Doc.Never seen tilt steering column on floor shift car in this platform.I got tired of looking,gave one a shave.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Thanks LSC, I was thinking it was a bit bigger than 15" but then again that's why I'm asking. Yeah I had a feeling they would be hard to find. Never taken apart a steering wheel so I don't know much about what's inside. I was hoping somebody took one off a F-100, F-150 or Granada, I even seem to remember a floor shifter in an LTD II. It seems like the steering wheel was pretty common across the board. Not sure of the stuff "down shaft" tho.

Cheers,

Doc

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Like I've said, I used a van column to rebuild my column, and used a late '80s truck steering wheel, but if you have good power steering, a big wheel is not necessary. I just use the truck one because it's black and leather-wrapped from the factory.

5. handy_andy_cv64

But your point of not having seen tilt on a manual column vs. a floor shift column, it may come down to the key cylinder lock mechanism on the manual column that prevents the use of a tilt mechanism, whereas the floor shifter automatics simply have the interlock linkage, which would still allow a tilt mechanism.

6. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Details Man! DETAILS!! What van, what truck? Any chop, cut, weld or was it a direct bolt in of parts??

Cheers,

Doc

7. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I love the big steering wheels! That's one of the details that make me feel like I'm driving a classic car! Big, but obnoxiously skinny, and no leather wrapping. The leather wrapping is so '80s!

Joseph

Kiwirancher likes this.
  8. handy_andy_cv64

The '80s trucks and vans used the '70s car column heads. So everything bolts up. The only question is if a shaft can be put together that would work in your car's case. If I had had a phone with a camera at the time, I would've taken pics.

9. handy_andy_cv64

I used an '82 van column because it has the on-column quadrant. Otherwise, a pickup column should provide you with what you need.

10. handy_andy_cv64

And because I had two column shift automatic columns, the mashup was straightforward.