Stereo pics.

Discussion in 'Car and Home Audio' started by Lovinmy74, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Lovinmy74

Lovinmy74 In Maximum Overdrive

I would love to have a 70 Mach 1 but I would never pay the ridiculous amount of money they want for one and I would be upset with a street car I couldn't do what I want to it. It would be pretty to look at, but thats about it. I would be scared to drive it hard, I wouldn't be able to customize it or it would lose it's "value". Kind of a sad deal really. These "popular Hot Rods" were built to be raced on streets, partied in, lure dates into the back seat, and just because they made them look cool and rumble they turned into collecters cars with a gigantic price tag and you don't dare use them the way they were supposed to be used. Thats why I like my Chero, I can do what I want with it. It's a usable Hot Rod.

JimmyMac likes this.
  2. rwitt

rwitt In Maximum Overdrive

Lonny, what did you use for your back wall cover? Did you just cover the existing cardboard or what? It looks awesome.

I do have a question for someone(anyone).....Where can I find or can I find speaker covers that go on the inside of the doors to help keep water from getting to the speakers? I've seen some, but that was years ago. If not, does anyone have a "homemade" remedy for this problem?

3. Lovinmy74

I just glued speaker carpet to the existing cardboard. It was pretty old and stained looking anyway.

Originally they just had a piece of plastic covering the speaker, but you could put marine speakers in there if you want, they are waterproof.

4. Bossbob

Bossbob In Fourth Gear

Nice work,

What happens when you get a flat tire???

If I could keep the spare, I would love to do something like that.

5. Lovinmy74

I just sit on the side of the road and ROCK OUT!

My spare don't fit in there anyway, If I go out of town I throw the spare and jack in the back. I usually just cruise around the valley anyway, with a cell phone and roadside assistance.

I have future plans to mount the end of an axle to the bed so I can bolt a nice spare to it and it will be off the bed at a slight angle, and get one of these new pickup jacks to put under the seat.

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver In Second Gear

Speaker boxes

Now you got the wheels turning in my head....... I have some spare car audio stuff sitting around that was given to me. Two full sets (total of 4 tweeters and 4 drivers) of Oz Audio component speakers. Every review I have found on these says they are the shit and the 8" woofers from a Bazooka along with a huge amp to run them all. All I'd need is a decent head unit. I think that my Ranchero already has a high output alternator in it but probably would need a capacitor too. Since I gotta rip out the interior anyway!

7. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

How big of an amp? Probably wont need a capacitor just a good battery.

8. Holy Diver

Not sure how big - I guess I'll have to pull it out and look - soon! I'll even snap a picture of the amp/speakers and post it here.

9. Holy Diver

@RancheroUS

It's a big Sony plate amp.
    XM-3060

30 x 6 at 20~20000Hz, 0.08% THD, 4 OHM

Options to go 4/5/6 channel.
    6 gold plated RCA inputs - one for each speaker you want to drive

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Rancherous

Nice old amp there. I used to run an XM-2020 on a set of tweeters. Probably want to run it at 4 channels, a nice set of components and a couple subs should be more than you need in a Ranchero. A good Die Hard Platinum battery should do the trick.

11. occupant

occupant In Second Gear

I'll stick with stock.

[​IMG]

This came from a '76 Granada. Works for me. I plan to get a fresh stock-style dash speaker in there when I paint the green dash pad blue and put it in. I also want to pull some strong JBL 6x9's from a 90s TC or something. I don't want to cut holes in my package shelf so I need something strong to put sound through it. Might even put an amp back there hidden between the speakers upside down or something.

If I get a Ranchero at some point I hope the dash is already cut so I can put something like that Pioneer in there. I do like the blue lighting of that particular model but I'd go with a simpler one, no remote or anything. I had an older model in my last Suburban, a DEH-1700. Had a nice blue display and was plenty powerful. I'd look for something like that, plus an AUX input for my Chinese iPod clone. The DEH-P3000IB is the lowest end Pioneer I can find on their website that has a blue backlighting and AUX input. That, the DEH-P3900MP or its Premier cousin, the DEH-P390MP will be the ones I scour eBay for when that time comes.

12. Holy Diver

Head Units

I'm looking at head units right now (since that's the only thing I'm lacking from the stereo components I have sitting in my garage). Thinking of going with something ultra nice - double-DIN unit with built-in GPS and all the pretties. The Alpine looks very nice, as does the Pioneer.

Alpine: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DhGCWDtvNLn/s_500INAW90B/Alpine-INA-W900BT.html?tp=20212

Pioneer: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DhGCWDtvNLn/s_130AVIC920/Pioneer-AVIC-X920BT.html?tp=20212

The plan is to build a console that fits on the transmission/driveshaft hump to house the head unit.

Speakers will be the Oz Matrix component units and Bazooka 8" Subs I mentioned in an earlier post and a Sony XM-3060 Amplifier.

These are longer range plans though - a lot of more important work needs to be done first (replace the rotting carpet, new seats & seat belts, and fix a leaking rear window that has a lot to do with the rot...).

13. Rancherous

I just finished my Crown Vic install with the JVC KW-NT3HDT Navi unit. I chose it for a couple of reasons over the others. My biggest thing was the Detachable Face for security, and built in HD Radio, JVC is the only one offering a removable face with a Navi system. The boot time is lightning quick much faster than the others I demoed. If you are in a Big City you get the Lifetime subscription to the Total Traffic Network for Free, news, Sports scores etc etc. The drawbacks of the unit are only 1 Sub output and the USB connection is on the front if that bothers you. The sub is not a big deal just run a Y cable. Everything else about the unit I love.

Your amp actually puts out 55W RMS a Channel not 30 those old amps were rated at 12V not 14.4. That amp will do 55x2 and 120x2 in 4 channel mode. Make sure those Bazookas can handle 120 RMS a piece. Bazooka subs were kind of Bottom of the Barrel stuff and only being 8s you might be replacing them soon. The OZ Audios are very nice.

14. Holy Diver

Bazooka's

Thank you for the input on amp & speakers I've discussed. The entire system, minus a head unit, is a pull from a 2000 Probe a buddy bought (and subsequently took snorkeling - I'll shed light on that below). The Bazooka subs outlived the car.

There are a couple of spots on the Pearl Harbor Naval Station that flood out pretty badly when it rains a lot! The air intake on a 2000 Probe GT is under the bumper... slurrrrp! Flooded motor on a $2000 car. He pulled everything he thought would be worth keeping and scrapped the car. Gave me the speakers and amp. :)

15. Gene

Gene In Second Gear

heres my set up and its loud enough for inside clean sound . i dont want to be heard coming down the road .
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    Lovinmy74 likes this.
  16. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

But I am sure you can if you want to be! Very nice set up.

17. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Some like it louder(loud enough for me anyhow), here is what I run in my Ranchero for "sub's": 4-12" MTX 5512-04's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

So do you pound "Ride of the Valyries" as you approach the LZ out of it???

Looks good, nice work!

19. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Thank you, though I rarely listen to the stereo system :confused:, it does surprise folks when all that sound comes out of a Ranchero(they can't figure how all the bass is generated-no trunk). My 15 year old son likes for me to "turn it up" when we go cruising, I'd more than likely listen to the cam events/exhaust note from the 466. My son gets a kick out of hearing my Don Dorsey/Bachbusters CD, especially track 15, Toccata and Fugue in D minor. At the 23 second mark of this recording, the 4-12's will take your breath away . It was an extensive labor of "enjoyment", though I enjoy it less than I should.

20. RandyMac

RandyMac In Third Gear

I need a better stereo. I use a pair of Aiwa speakers hooked to a crappy Dual CD/radio.
    They look like these.
    [​IMG]

I need to mount them somewhere, they live on the floor behind the seat.