Strange feeling

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by plumcolr, Mar 23, 2020.

1. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Walking the dog, about 10 last night. Got a werid feeling. Couldn't place it for a few minutes, then realized, no road noise, no aircraft (I'm under the approach to 2 small commercial airports, and can often hear and see aircraft from Newark and Philadelphia up high). The only aircraft I've noticed have been military ( McGuire AFB / Lakehurst Naval Air about 10 miles away).

Shades of the weeks after 9/11. Not a pleasant feeling.

2. Buddy Porter

Buddy Porter In Third Gear

Very Strange Times!

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That also happened the morning of September 11th, 2001, and on that day, I lived a mile from, and worked five miles from, McChord AFB, WA. The only aircraft flying were F-15s and tankers, as by the time I arrived for work, it was quarter to 9, PDT.

4. handy_andy_cv64

Oh, and Dad was already stuck at LAX.

5. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I know the feeling, worked in NJ right across the Hudson River and had a view of Manhattan saw the smoke from the Twin Towers and a buddy from work said on a road test he saw the 2nd plane hit.
    Meanwhile that day, my wife and colleagues were on a business trip that flew out of Newark to Charlotte and were in the air before the ground stop and knew nothing of it until they was getting the rental car. She was stranded down there for a few days, they wound up renting a car and drove up.
    My normal commute time is about 35 min. that day I was able to get home in 15 min. no traffic and was able to do 80+ mph.

6. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, where I worked and lived was right on the I-5 Corridor South of Tacoma, and traffic literally evaporated in the middle of the day--if you didn't have somewhere to go, you stayed in place. My boss and his son (my co-worker) had gone golfing that morning, and so I had to go to work. I really didn't want to go.

7. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Yeah, this reminds me of some parts of 9/11 also. I was just getting into bass fishing and was spending a lot of time at an urban lake the runs parallel to Phoenix International Airport...the sound of jets taking off and landing is nearly constant and occasionally deafening (fighter jets...man they are loud). For a day or two after 9/11 is was eerily quiet without the planes and the traffic of the very-nearby freeway.

8. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, today I was at Pick-n-Pull San Antonio, and the fighters were sure buzzing around. But ya gotta love "The Sound of Freedom."

Buddy Porter and Huevos like this.