Streaming and antenna for local stations

Discussion in 'Non-Automotive Stuff' started by Clark, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Ditched the expensive satellite cable service and have gone to wifi streaming. Then I bought the cheap amplified indoor HD flat panel HD digital TV antenna for local stations.

The indoor antenna picks up 69 stations BUT I have to move it around to get one I frequently watch. Some days I must have the smart TV search out the available stations again.

So I'm now thinking I should buy and outdoor antenna, take down the unused dish, use the dish arm to mount the antenna, connect into the existing house coaxial cable system.

The questions here are what antenna to buy. I'm thinking a Channel Master omni-direction unit about $170 from Amazon. Then it seems I should buy an antenna amplifier as well.

Anyone else face this? Have experience?

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

3. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Great BB and thanks.

4. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

Count your blessings! In Nevada, I get no channels with an outside antenna & in Utah, I can only get a Spanish station.

5. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Clark. Please post your results as I would like to cut the cord as well.

pmrphil and The Wrench like this.
  6. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I put an antenna in my garage attic and pointed it SSW towards Indy. That was 20+ years ago. The wife didn't want "an ugly" tower outside. I live in the country where cable isn't available. When the analog broadcast went away and was replaced with digital I bought a digital tuner/converter for our old TV and did nothing to the antenna. Later bought a new flat screen TV and ditched the converter. That was years ago. Still using the same antenna. I can get Indy, Dayton and sometimes Cincy stations from that old fixed antenna. Still don't have satellite or cable.

Internet is line of site wireless from a repeater on a tall grain silo about a mile away.

7. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Long ago before cable was available here put an antenna and rotor in the attic. worked well. Big market though, NY & Philadelphia. 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11 and 13, plus some uhf.