Stuck tailgate

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Gerry, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Gerry

Gerry In First Gear

I have a 79 Ranchero with a stuck tailgate. It was working fine and the last time I shut it, it looks like it might have only partly latched. I can't budge it - either to try to push it closed or to try and open it with the release. Any help or tips anyone can give me is much appreciated
    Thanks Gerry

2. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Had the same problem with mine! Make sure nothing is catching it on the bottom. if you pull the handle and you can tell that it is working, if you have one, you may want to remove the plate covering the latch arms. Disconnect the handle and wiggle the arms back and forth while giving the tailgate a slight back and fourth motion. Be very careful not to damage anything. This may get it free

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I've not had mine stuck, per se, but after the rear-ending several years ago, it got knocked out of alignment, so one side latches all the way, the other does not, and it hangs up once out of three or four openings. Check to see if it's square to the body.

4. Gerry

Gerry In First Gear

Still stuck. I took the handle off the tailgate and pulled and wiggled the rod as much as possible but still nothing. The gate is square to the body so that's OK. There is no access panel other than the inner skin that you can't' remove while it is closed because the top trim is screwed in on the ends that you can't get to while it's closed. The lower Phillips screws are also inaccessible while it is closed .
    I am trying to remove the latch screws from inside the body through the taillight holes. Not successful yet.
    If I had a new inner panel I could just cut a big hole in the panel , operate the latch , open it , take the panel off and then replace it with the new one. Only problem no new one.
    Any comments about removing the latches thought taillight openings yay or nay would be appreciated.
    Gerry

5. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

6. handy_andy_cv64

It sounds like one of the latches broke, and did so in a way that jammed the mechanism. You may have to apply brute force to get it to 'pop' open, such as a couple long prybars and another person to assist you in forcing it open. Hate to say it, but that may be the only option left.

7. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Never did this with a Ranchero but with a FORD station wagon.
    Had to open the access plate and bend it to get inside. A rod clip had failed and the rod fell off.

8. bigears

bigears In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

What a pain :( in the rear must check and lube mine ..........

9. handy_andy_cv64

Funny thing, after the accident in '11, my T/G was knocked out of alignment, so it doesn't latch both sides, just the right side. Until Sunday, when I retied the topper down, using the hinges as anchors to resecure the rear of the topper; now it shuts straight and holds!

10. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Ribald what do you call the wire pulls that electricians use that are like chinese finger cuffs. If he can get one on each latch rod (providing the rod hasn't come off on the outboard side) push on the tailgate while pulling both rods to the middle simultaneously it should release. I can't remember the name of the tool.

11. toyroom

toyroom In Third Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Are you talking about cable socks/grips?

12. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Toyroom, just found mine bought it at Lowes, package name Greenlee pulling grip. Wire cylindrical mesh that expands over wire or tailgate rod & when pulled contracts to tighten. Just like the old paper finger cuffs when we were kids, pull, tighten, push, release.

13. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

So what's the current status, Gerry?

I can't think of anything to try other than the judicious use of high explosives. Bummer.

14. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Gerry, are both rods still attached at the latches ?

15. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Sophie didn't you almost blow up your neighbors house listening to ribald. I have quite a few tree stumps down here you can practice on

16. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

My advise to him would be useless against tree stumps.
    I recommend getting one of those metal hats with horns on them and an 18 pack of cheap beer.
    Gather up energy by sitting down for an hour and leisurely downing 16 of them, then ask a buddy to hold your beer and drive into the nearest stump head first in a crouching run.
    If the alcohol and velocity vectors match the shock will not only obliterate the stump, but also its roots down to about 2'.
    After your first success, do a beer run and repeat.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  17. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Two 18 packs later.... stump still there, doctor only confirmed what my dad always said that I have a hard head. Maybe I'll use my tractor next time.

18. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Screw the tractor, my neighbors son had some Tannerite, the stump as far as I can tell is gone. I've taken to texting until my hearing comes back, I am guessing that the stump is still in orbit.

19. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Note to self, alcohol and explosives don't mix, but what a story that I will be able to sign to the grandkids.

20. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Sounds like a "hold my beer" kinda moment :)