Stupid me... I just bought a Chevy!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by FordR500GT, Dec 13, 2017.

1. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

They could also do something about the metal rotting from the inside out. All of the Chevies we've had were the rustiest cars in the yard

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Odd thing about that rust. My Aunt had a 1973 C-10 that would not rust. All the other 73's in this area looked like Swiss Cheese in only a few years but her truck had to be built from a different metal supplier. It had bare metal showing on the wheel flares due to her Rotweiler pooch using them for a convienent scratching post. To this day those spots are still bright and shiney like fresh sandblasting. No rot thru anywhere yet and it got it's share of winter driving. I have no idea of which GM plant it was built in.

3. FordR500GT

Wow. Cool story

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

you should let GM know about that one.
    A lot of metallurgy borders on voodoo when it comes to getting thousands of tons of alloy to be consistent.
    On top of that, it can take dozens, or even a hundred years to figure out what is the best mix for long life. They stick hundreds of samples in different environments and pull one out every few years to see how it is doing.

Not that any of the above has anything to do with the swiss cheese syndrome. That is mostly thin cheap alloy.

5. FordR500GT

Ok. Got the blazer unlocked. A pneumatic drill did the work for me. But it has some kinda stupid security system on it. It does this:

Note the rear defog flashing. I don't know if anything is disabled as I don't have an ignition key yet
    [​IMG]

6. FordR500GT

Ahh. I figured it out. Flip an under dash toggle switch while battery is disconnected, open all doors, hook up battery, turn key to ACC, and finally hold the reset button under dash for 2 minutes. Turn key off. Done.

7. ribald1

If you ever have to do that again, I suggest a quart of gasoline and a match.

FordR500GT and Freestyle Don like this.
  8. FordR500GT

Isn't it funny that I only have to do it in the Chevs? My dad's '91 Buick did the same thing, but without the beeping. Took 7 months to find the toggle switch. It was embedded in the dynamat installed in the foam installed in the door panels. What's up with people putting alarms in GM cars worth about as much as a full size popcorn and drink at the movies?

9. ribald1

My alarm is a hidden switch that shuts off the tach input to the EFI controller.
    It will start if the ignition is bypassed, but will only run for 15-20 seconds before the computer shuts off the fuel pump.

10. FordR500GT

I don't think this alarm does anything but flash the interior and taillights. Its annoying and it does disable the radio in the ON position, but its otherwise useless. No siren or ignition disable. Now I'm hoping I can track it down under the dash. Otherwise I will have to disarm it every time I open the driver door and/or connect the battery. And the flashing incandescent bulb under the seat kills the battery fast .

11. FordR500GT

Did you ever have an issue with the driver seat recline plastic breaking off? Happens on every S10 and Blazer I've ever seen

12. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Yeah, and the headlight switch and the inside door handle and one broken crankshaft on the 87 Blazer with the 2.8 v6

But overall very few problems AND THEY WERE CHEAP

13. FordR500GT

I wish I coulda got mine for less, but where I live you can find a million broncos or S10s but hardly ever a 1st gen Blazer

14. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It's too bad it's a '93...I have a bunch of '94-and-up parts. Bummer.

15. FordR500GT

You seem to have a little bit of everything. and remind me to ship you the blower motor, it keeps slipping my mind.

16. FordR500GT

Huge mess of waiting from alarm. Disconnected fuse and connections, but it's still on

17. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes, please, I need that motor and resistor! Mine is not screeching anymore, which means it's ready to go out at the most inopportune time!

18. FordR500GT

How do you ge the motor out of an A/C car? I need to take the one out of my '74 and put it in the blue '72. I just can't figure out how

19. ribald1

It is loads of fun.
    Hidden nuts behind the dash will generate a colorful vocabulary.

20. FordR500GT

Oh great. having to lay underneath the dash of a car that has no interior and smells like mouse pee is already annoying. Now i'll have to do even more work in one full of dust and wet carpet. :confused::oops: