Suspension Upgrades

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by GBH Jon, Dec 6, 2020.

1. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

More questions sorry..... Looking to upgrade the front end. Bottoming out over bumps etc...... Budget is tight, especially with being across the pond, import duties and tax etc. New qa1 shocks plus springs and an uprated sway bar while I'm at it, come to mind. Can't decide which to go for first tho..... any suggestions?

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Have you considered a front coilover conversion?

3. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

I will have a look, ta.......

4. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

Aldan seem the best price, however any recommendations? Postage and taxes to the UK are killer.... Here's hoping for a post Brexit trade deal......

5. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I have Aldan coilovers in 2 cars including my 71 Ranchero and like them a lot. Way better then stock and adjustable.
    Greg

GBH Jon likes this.
  6. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

Aldan kit is 260 dollars shipping and tax to the UK......

7. Anton Olafsson

Anton Olafsson In Second Gear

Do you have pics and more Info?

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Here's a thought, for just springs: is there a company in Britain that makes springs? All they need is the info about the vehicle's weight, and the individual assembly weights, such as the engine, trans, A/C (if installed), etc.

9. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

Stock springs and shocks are cheap enough from over there, it's just the upgraded stuff, and coilovers that get pricy when you start to add taxes etc.... as they are dearer originally, obviously.

Comparing prices part for part it still seems to be cheaper to import........ People just don't stock large amounts of the stuff, everything has a 2 week turnaround......ie, you order part, they then import individual part, then stick their profit on top. Not enough demand over here for the dealers to bulk buy for better deals........

10. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I did a instruction of the process on this site a couple years ago.
    I called Aldan looking for coilovers for my 71 as no one made them.
    They agreed to send me a Mustang kit and I could make mods and send them back and they would make changes to their design and go into production. It took about 4 months going back and forth before we got them right with all the shipping back and forth but they got them right.
    I don't remember what I called the artical but you can do a search on this site and find all the pictures of the install and an explanation of the process.
    Greg

Dave Reginek likes this.
  11. Dave Reginek

Dave Reginek In Second Gear

There is a place in Detroit that does...
    //www.eatondetroitspring.com/

12. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Second Gear

do you have the right/ good springs. i have stock dampers and springs and dont have your problem the bigger sway bar however is very useful with our twisty roads

Dave Reginek likes this.
  13. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

I assume they're stock, but just tired. Will be replacing them soon.... Just couldn't decide what to do first. Then someone mentioned coilovers...... But will definitely change sway bar...... Just waiting for Boris to sort out a trade deal with the US.....

14. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Second Gear

if it takes as long as brexit your in for a long wait

GBH Jon and Dave Reginek like this.
  15. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

International postage and duty etc make coilovers a bit pricey.....So I've been looking at stock style stuff. Can anyone recommend KYB Gas Adjusts for the front with stock springs?

16. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes, my friends have a '99 Crown Vic with KYBs front and rear; the shocks should be similar enough, they could even be the same part numbers!