Here's Sweaty Betty in all her glory. At some point, someone really loved her. I am her third owner. Actually, the guy I bought her from never registered her, so technically I'm her second owner. The poor old fella that originally owned Betty passed away and she was sold at an estate auction. Apparently he had been sick for a while and she sat for quite a few years. The last time she was registered was in 2008. She sat outside and it was just long enough for everything to start to deteriorate. When I got her, her bed was nasty. Like a hobo had taken up residence and did nothing but huff paint in there. I kid you not, someone had painted the inside of her bed with aluminized paint. After about two solid weeks of scraping, wire brushing and sanding, I was finally able to lay down some rubberized bed liner. She's not going to be a show car, I'm going to use her so I opted for quite a few heavy coats. One of the first things I had to do was get her running properly. This involved tracking down some vacuum leaks, flushing the fuel system, installing a new tank and a new fuel pump. You have to admire the care that goes into packaging components these days. That's one of those new multi-dimensional gaskets. Then it was on to the brakes. Oh god, the brakes! First things first, her pedal would go to the floor and stay there and she had zero brakes what so ever. After closer inspection the seals in the ass end of the brake master gave up the ghost and let all kinds of fluid into the booster which promptly killed off the diaphragm. If you've never installed a brake booster on one of these things, do yourself a favor and hire one of those cirque du soleil contortionists who has a trained octopus to help you with it. Mmmm... Looks delicious. Next on the list was shoes, hold down/return hardware, and wheel cylinders. That's a bit better. I also replaced the calipers and pads, as well as every brake hose on the car. When all was said and done, she stops exactly how she's supposed to and about as good as you'd expect a tank to stop. It's good to go fast but its WAY better to be able to stop. I've spent the last two weeks dealing with emissions control issues, locating missing parts and replacing broken stuff. She passed smog on the numbers side but had a few components missing. Tomorrow she goes back for smog certification and then finally into service. The "must do" list is finally all crossed off and I'm starting to look at Betty like she's a whole car and not just a huge pile of jobs I have to do. Today, I set about cleaning up her dingy dash. I really wished I had taken a before pic of this. So, there you have it. As I continue to play, I'll post up more pics and update her progress. But, as of today, Betty is a little less sweaty than she used to be.