Tach wiring

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by augustin, Mar 27, 2024.

1. augustin

augustin In Second Gear

Any help is appreciated, I bought the tach below with the attached wiring. I believe at least the green wire is missing. So I have what appears one black, one white and one red wire. But the red is attached to a black wire... any informed suggestions welcomed.. FYI I bought it this way on EBAY, also it's going in a 1965 Ranchero 289 w/ 4 speed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  2. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

I just checked my 'spare' tach. 4 wires:
    White. Panel lights
    Red. Switched power
    Black. Ground
    Green. Coil negative side
    Yours is an autometer, you might try to contact them.
    I just checked the autometer site-their tachs all show 4 leads with the same colors as I listed above. Sorry

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    pmrphil likes this.
  3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Either take it apart and check the wiring, or better yet, send it back, because somebody has monkeyed with it - most likely why it was sold.
    Autometer won't tell you any more than DJ Clinton just did, and his info is correct.

Buds 67 likes this.
  4. augustin

augustin In Second Gear

yeah I called autometer and was told it's basically a paperweight. The tech told me many years ago there was a tach similar to this but it required a type of sending unit. Thanks guys

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I have an Automeer I'm selling, it was for Babe, but with her disposition, I'd be willing to part with it, for the cost of shipping. PM me if you're interested.

6. augustin

augustin In Second Gear

I sent you a PM

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Haha, ya sent me three! But I found the important one, with your address. That's where you'll find the instructions.