Taser

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Cindy, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Cindy

Cindy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I know its not considered a "firearm", but... I still feel better carrying it when I go out alone to work at 4 am.

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

A firearm would be a better choice.
    The contact type are pointless unless you can get to bare skin at the neck or front of the chest area. I tried one of them on myself, and except for the neck and front of bare chest shocks, if someone used one of them on me it would just make me mad.
    The ones that fire the darts are better, but unless you get a real expensive one they won't penetrate a hoodie, and you only get one shot.
    Here in CA you are breaking the law if you carry anything that might harm an innocent person who has chosen murder, rape, assault, or theft as an occupation unless you have a permit.
    The wise people in Sacramento believe that those people have exactly the same rights to pursue their dreams as anyone else without having to risk being hurt or killed in the process.
    If you are willing to risk prosecution over being murdered, robbed, or raped, then, in my opinion, you are best off with something that will ensure that you survive to be prosecuted.
    Berretta and Glock both make compact 9mm firearms that are light yet effective.
    You really should get training on whatever method you use, a firearm is the original point and click interface, but training will kick in under stress while thinking will not.

3. Cindy

Agreed. Yeah i have the M-26, similar to the police issue one. Cost a pretty penny and yeah i have had professional training. All that being said, I am interested in getting a modest-sized pistol in addition to that. -Cin

4. ribald1

Around my shop here by the coliseum in Oakland I carry my S&W stainless steel 357 revolver, full size frame and 6" barrel. The sight of it tends to raise the IQ of the idiots around here by at least 30 points.
    Out and about I choose a smaller rig.
    I have been convicted of carrying concealed loaded twice. It is still a misdemeanor, fine and 30 days of picking up trash on weekends. After the first bust you get asked about it every time you deal with a cop as it comes up on the computer. Most cops, even here in the asylum, understand why a person would want to go about armed. Heck, they do every day.

Cindy likes this.
  5. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

Ah yes our fairy tale gun laws.
    Disarm the law abiding citizen
    That way we won't harm any criminals in pursuit of their chosen profession

I am typing this as I load anougher 500 45 acp flying ashtrays
    Think I will do some 223 next

Cindy likes this.
  6. ribald1

The 45 is my favorite pistol round.
    Not only is it effective, but the recoil is in the sweet spot between boring and punishing.

7. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

Yep over 100 years old and going strong
    Can't bet the 1911 platform. I own several.
    Even one in .22 bought it for "cheap" practice. Damn was I wrong I reload 45 cheaper then I can buy .22
    And the 45 is much funner to shoot.

8. Cindy

Personally, if I get a pistol, Im carrying it. I'd rather deal with the punishment later than deal with the violence now. Heck in Antioch the cops should think of the few law-abiding citizens who carry as a help, not a threat. -Cin

9. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

How difficult is it to get a CCW permit in California?

Here, almost every shop has CCW educational classes and training available. If I'm not mistaken, the multi-state class allows for concealment, not including California, in up to 41 states with a one day course.

10. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Our county includes a Psych Evaluation But lucky our Sheriffs Department considers personal protection as sufficient reason for meeting the good cause standard
    https://www.montereysheriff.org/ccw/

http://www.shouselaw.com/concealed-weapon.html#2

Mike likes this.
  11. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

Thinking of moving back to CA in 3-4 years, BUT, the gun "laws" chap my hiney...that and the taxes... The idea of "Mother may I" when it comes to the second amendment and concealed carry certainly fries me and goes against my conservative principles. Hhmm, maybe by that time my NC CCR will be reciprocated in CA? Ha! Dream on....

My little pocket buddy is a Ruger LCR .357 Mag that would probably fall within ribal1's "punishing" category as to recoil...? With .38 specials it's not so bad.

12. ribald1

The 357 has similar recoil as the 45 in a full frame firearm.
    44 mag's, 454 casull, ect... get hard on the hand and wrist after 30 or 40 rounds down range.

13. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

357 has some snap to it but not bad.
    I load alot of 38 spl with green dot powder that my grandkids love. Recoil from my 4 inch 7 shot is a little over a .22 .
    But it's cheaper then .22 ammo.

14. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

Only .45's I've shot have been 1911s which seemed very mild recoil wise. Argh, gave my .45 Kimber to my oldest son 3 1/2 yrs ago when I got injured. I tried chambering a round while squeezing it between my knees but no go...I don't think I could clear it if a round got stuck (I have an "interesting" story of a reload round not going thru the pipe! :eek: ) so I'm relegated to revolvers. What's worse is that he sold the gun to fund a trip to see his girlfriend at that time who is now hasta nunca....!

I've owned several 44 mags over the years and even a Desert Eagle .50 for a while...too expensive to shoot! Won't give up my Weatherby Mags even though they are awfully expensive to shoot...

15. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

If you ever get a chance to shoot a CZ-52 check it out...

16. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

Yes a dud is aways a risk.
    I used to shoot compitition about 4 to 5k a year. I have had my dillon rebuilt twice with no duds or squib
    Knock on wood
    Just have to be dillagent watch what you do

17. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

My other favorite pistol is a Blackhawk in 45 colt
    Love the old calibers
    Newest I shoot is .223 which is 60 plus years old

18. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

If you like punishment try a 45/70 in a pistol.

19. ribald1

Single handed clearing is something everyone with a semiauto pistol should learn. All you need is a hard corner to press against. The contact point you use is different with different arms, but the concept is the same; you force the slide back by placing it against a hard object and pressing on the grip.

20. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Had a good friend who was a State Trooper pass away a couple years ago. He had his wife give me his SW40F personal duty pistol in his will. Never thought I'd like a .40 but this one impresses me. It definitely is easier to conceal than my .50 Desert Eagle.