Teenager's 1969 Ranchero Project

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by Mike1969, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Mike1969

Mike1969 In Fourth Gear

Here's the column that's in the Torino now.
    Hopefully you can see that the blocking ring has fallen off its tabs and is sitting far down inside the column.
    You can also see the shiny wear on the perimeter of the column, just to the left of the dash trim. I believe this is where the shift column would settle, far away from the detents that lock it in gear.
    [​IMG]

2. Mike1969

Mike1969 In Fourth Gear

I ran out of time for today and will hopefully have some time to get back at it tomorrow. I'm dying to drive my 331 in the Torino!!!!
    I might have to make some kind of deal with Dad that would end with me being the Torino's owner. I have just fallen in love with it.
    Sadly, I foresee the cost of that being the loss of my two Ranchero's... but I'll be damned if that's not just about the coolest car I've ever seen.
    [​IMG]

3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

That would make a great parts car for a Ranchero!
    Just kidding. Good to see you bringing 'er back to life.

4. kal

kal In Third Gear

nice glad to see somebody young interested in these old cars

Cindy likes this.
  5. Mike1969

Mike1969 In Fourth Gear

Hey folks,
    I've having the C4 transmission rebuilt for the white '69 by a shop in Warrensburg. Somehow or other I've lost the bellhousing-to-pump bolts. Are these specialty fasteners or can I buy some normal bolts?

I pulled some 7/16 x 1 1/8 bolts from what I think is an FMX transmission. Are these the same as a C4?

6. Mike1969

Mike1969 In Fourth Gear

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If they specifically list for the pump, and IIRC there are either six or seven of them, then yes, they should fit the bill. So why did you remove the bolts?

8. ribald1

Andy, what else is one to do with bolts if they are already installed?

9. handy_andy_cv64

I don't understand your question. He already said he removed and misplaced the pump bolts; I confirmed to him the eBay listings are what he needs to get the trans finished. I merely asked why he had removed them.

10. ribald1

There are two things done with a bolt.
    Install it, or remove it.
    Once one is done, only the other can be done.:)

11. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

You can lose em

Cindy likes this.
  12. ribald1

Losing them is considered an improper application.

13. handy_andy_cv64

Right. But to do anything, one must have motivation. My aim here is to possibly help him remember what he did with the bolts he had by recollecting when he removed them, what he might have done with them.

14. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

They make a pretty good improvised plum Bob.

15. ribald1

A nut works better, there is always one of those hanging around.

16. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Feel free to use yours, mine are attached and a matched pair, I would rather slap the side of my head and get rid of some of the useless information in there.

17. ribald1

All information is useless until you need it. Think of all the tools you have that fit that description.

18. Mike1969

Mike1969 In Fourth Gear

Hey guys,
    I had Dad take the C4 into a local shop around me here to have the shift linkage arm on the transmission switch over from floor shift to column shift. Long story short, unauthorized work happened and I cut my losses and picked up the transmission in pieces. Between then and now (I was in England for 5 months) the bolts went missing. I suspect they got lost at this shop.

I made four phone calls today at work asking shops around me to source the front pump bolts and no one in Springfield could come up with them. While I was at work Dad even went to a salvage yard to look for a core C4 for bolts and didn't have any luck either. He also called Missouri Mustang and a gentleman in Mountain Grove who works on 67-72 F-series trucks to no avail. I don't know if these bolts are specialty or not seeing as I don't have any to compare to!

In the end Dad had to drive out to pick up some bolts that are allegedly correct, but I have my doubts. I had to one-day shipping guarantee Monday delivery because my expensive transmission rebuild is scheduled to be done by noon on Monday. I'm beyond frustrated at this point:mad::mad::mad:!!! I don't know what I'm going to do if these are super special oddball bolts and the ones I sent to Warrensburg are incorrect.

Sorry for the rambling rant.... got my @$$ kicked at work today with my boss & his wife on vacation and me running the counter of a busy autoshop as a one-man-band.

Take care guys & have a great weekend

p.s. pray those bolts are correct or someone contact me if you would sell some of those front pump to bell housing bolts.

19. Mike1969

Mike1969 In Fourth Gear

Hit post too fast!

Working on getting the 331 into the Torino and fingers crossed for it running tomorrow.... doubtful. You all know me! I'll probably post again in 3 weeks with no progress :rolleyes:

20. handy_andy_cv64

We all post in three weeks with no progress. Look at how long Babe's rehab has been going since the first "ARRRGGHH!"
    Man, as a mechanic, I get angry at the toadstool eaters in the industry who go and screw people as look at them. IIRC, the bolts are grade 8 or 10, and custom-length, not a standard length, such as 1 1/2" long. And the big bummer is that a couple months ago, Babe's C4 was sitting on the ground as I worked on the engine. I could've taken a look-see after popping out the converter.