The "Rock"

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by HuevosRanchero, Jul 25, 2011.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I don't know about California and the laws concerning vehicles, but your vehicle is classed as a truck, since it has only three seats, same as single-cab pickups.

2. handy_andy_cv64

The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1968.

3. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Thanks! I'll Google it tonight.

Joseph

4. colnago

Playing devil's advocate here (which my wife hates), but a Crew-Cab Pickup is still classified as a commercial vehicle in California. Darn that truck bed!

So, where does the definition of a "commercial vehicle" end? Why is a pickup automatically classified as a commercial vehicle, even when it isn't? And why are passenger vehicles not, even when they are used for commercial purposes?

Joseph

5. handy_andy_cv64

It's only the basics that are considered, and one is how many occupants can sit in the car. And right off the bat, the car-based pickup and sedan delivery qualify as commercial vehicles. Then, once you get past that, the mud puddle cannot be seen into, because the car makers always keep it stirred.

andrewok1 and colnago like this.
  6. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

its Holiday time again and finances are tight.....(wifes Hood Snake for her cobra completed, and repop TRX wheels in 16 inch size procured) and seatbelt replacement was in the future for the Rock but not soon HOWEVER a coworker brought me a Summit $20 off $100 coupon he couldn't use and I found these seatbelts called retro belts.. available and not wanting to waste a good coupon ( wife trained) I bought 2 sets $50 a set. I like them VERY MUCH...still 4 point. Seem of much higher quality than my previous set and claim to be DOT approved!. On top of that the look of the buckles is like something right out of a 60's 70's vehicle. Come with some nice hardware also for ease of installation. I'll let y'all decide.

20191117_131145.jpg 20191117_131149.jpg 20191117_131158.jpg 20191117_131211.jpg 20191117_131232.jpg

ForistellFord likes this.
  7. colnago

Very nice. I bought a set from Seat Belt Planet with the aviation-style buckles for my '64. They look great, but the belt itself slowly slides out from the buckle, so I'm constantly tightening the belt again. These look like the adjustment must be elsewhere. I hope you never have to learn the hard way, but it looks like these aren't letting the driver/passenger go anywhere!

Joseph

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  8. HuevosRanchero

yeah my previous belts do that slow slide out of adjustment thing and its irritating. Im hoping these are better at holding adjustment. I'll report back later.

colnago likes this.
  9. handy_andy_cv64

Those bucles are pretty darned close; my question would be if they confirm to the 1975 buckle standards? And, can the buckles be purchased in Ford's original buckle design (updated, of course), with the round release button?

10. HuevosRanchero

the only other type of buckle I saw was they aviation style....they have 2 and 3 point retractables as well

https://www.summitracing.com/ga/sea...rder=Ascending&keyword=retrobelt&kr=retrobelt

11. handy_andy_cv64

Darn. I was hoping they might've put the old-style button, on the new-style buckle.

12. HuevosRanchero

I'd like to preface this with the fact that I'm very grateful when a vendor repops something for our vehicles since we are but the few and the proud...(and mostly lucky that there were a lot of Torinos and other mid sizes based on the platform) HOWEVER....if you are going to repop something at least make it reasonably close or explain that some adjustment may be required...(in case the piece in question is based on a 72 and the kickpanels for the early cars are different than later in the run. I really don't know.)

In this case Im speaking of the repop kick panels for the 72 and newer. I recommend y'all spend as long as it takes to find a decent original set in your color of need. ( Repops only come in shiny black unless I'm mistaken). to wit the following....my originals were pretty faded and somehow a previous owner managed to melt a portion of the passenger side panel with a cigarette?? not sure. Years ago i bought a pair from a guy that said they were original black (turned out they were the green and painted black which annoyed me later when they started to chip here and there.

SO....I bought some repops at $80.

the drivers side.
    20191228_112641.jpg

not exactly a match...expect to do quite a bit of trimming on the upper portion along the edge. Moreover near the tall skinny part you will be hacking an approx 4 x 1.5 inch section to get your hood release handle remounted.

20191228_112648.jpg

repop graining

20191228_112653.jpg
    original grain...not really something that would put me off since my car is far from original...but others Im sure would dislike the more sand papery grain
    of the repop.

20191228_112720.jpg
    repop is noticeably thinner material Also of note it is a different type of plastic which is not very flexible and much more prone to cracking due to pressure of
    impacts or over tightening of mounting screws.

20191228_112733.jpg

20191228_112742.jpg
    I would rather not have to hack portions of my $80 pieces of thin plastic but I had to as you can see compared to the following

20191228_112746.jpg

20191228_114533.jpg
    no pre drilled hole on the upper portion...only a small quibble.

20191228_114553.jpg
    because of the angle on the upper portion of the new piece...I had to cut a slit in it to fit properly.

20191228_120128.jpg
    amazingly the passenger side is pretty close and fits without issue or modification.

for $80 I was hoping for better.,...no I would not recommend these but as a last Himalayan Hilton type of resort.

13. HuevosRanchero

rest of the door trim, ...because of my bad experience with repops lately (not including the excellent weatherstripping from Dan Carpenter) I elected to just
    polish up my original gouged and scratched scuff plates....they turned out not half bad.

20191227_225238.jpg 20191228_130117.jpg

20191228_130126.jpg

20191228_130129.jpg

20191228_130133.jpg

20191228_130145.jpg

LSChero and ForistellFord like this.
  14. handy_andy_cv64

Those actually came out quite clean. Did you have to touch up the Ford logos after polishing?

15. HuevosRanchero

The logo portion was the only part I didn't polish...just waxed. Was afraid Mother's might break through the blue.

16. HuevosRanchero

20191228_112648.jpg
    addendum.....also make note that the predrilled hole you see on the right ...roughly the same on both new panels....about 1/2 inch off from where they need to be....you'll be adding a hole or obrounding...your choice.

17. HuevosRanchero

just for fun...spent some time restoring this fabric decal on the drivers sunshade. Did as much as I dare...more gray/white than white and more readable in person than the picture shows. Its a warning about my all new for '76 catalytic convertor system!!!! It just might catch fire if I park it on the grass....ya don't say?

and i don't know why it insists on loading the pic sideways....

76catwarning.jpg

18. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

When are you going to be finished with that damn thing?!?!?!?!

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  19. HuevosRanchero

Never!!!!!!!!!! just high dollar stuff left...was looking at repro door panels but after these latest experiences I think I'll wait for some good originals. Going to put most of my old stuff back in the interior and save up for 72 loop pile carpet ( I hate the cut pile) and some better seats and console. Going to put a new radio in and finish it up hopefully in time for a few car shows so I can enjoy a little fruits of the labors.....

20. HuevosRanchero

NOS is nice when you can find it and or afford it.....

noslightdoor.jpg noslightdoor2.jpg