The "Rock"

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by HuevosRanchero, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The check valve is not in the can. The check valve is in the line leaving the manifold. Often the problems you describe are due to the removal of that valve, rather than the can. I bet if you replace, or install if missing, that valve your problems will go away.

2. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

probably was missing when I bought the car, there was just the line from source directly to the can and I pretty much ignored it. The new vacuum ball had a built in check valve but it was VERY restrictive so I drilled it out and added a better flowing check valve shown in the last set of pics...Was something ive ignored for the past..uhh decade. :D Just got tired of the dented and ugly soup can. The vacuum motor leaks on the interior climate system are noticable now when i shut the car down.

3. 74Rancherito

74Rancherito In Fourth Gear

that's a very sound ranch you have....

your eye to detail is awesome.....

keep it up....

4. HuevosRanchero

Battery Replacement

Well soon after buying the rear tires...my battery decided to crap out..been getting weak the last couple of months so...

Did some research...but finally settled on an Optima 34R red top and and nice aluminum tray to replace the original assembly. (Plastic tray with an original style hold down).

[​IMG]
    Not exactly virgin metal but could be worse after 36 years... Duplicolor has a new spray bed liner which is about 2$ more per can ($9) than their standard one. Purports to have Kevlar mixed in...wutev....wanted to see if texture was different than the standard or the Rustoleum version. The texture is a finer sand papery type similar to the rustoleum..which is unlike the pebbly texture of the regular duplicolor. It is VERY thick going on.....must be a heck of a spray nozzle. Evened out the peaks and valleys of the metal a bit.

[​IMG]
    Nice tray and affordable...half inch thick on the plate and flush fit for group 34/78 optima. Note I have a 34R..(good price)...which had a little foot at the four corners that I "hacked" off...perfect fit now. Note that I only added two small holes for the tray. The third hole I used one of the "foot" holes for the A/C hose can. Will probably make a 90 degree bracket to attach the fourth corner to one of the bolts sticking through the lower side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes I routed the cables more neatly than this...SOMEONE was a in a hurry to take the pic and get back in the house HMPH!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  5. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

[​IMG]
    Not exactly virgin metal but could be worse after 36 years... Duplicolor has a new spray bed liner which is about 2$ more per can ($9) than their standard one. Purports to have Kevlar mixed in...wutev....wanted to see if texture was different than the standard or the Rustoleum version. The texture is a finer sand papery type similar to the rustoleum..which is unlike the pebbly texture of the regular duplicolor. It is VERY thick going on.....must be a heck of a spray nozzle. Evened out the peaks and valleys of the metal a bit.

Looks good HR, the inner panel on mine has a couple thin spots and a 1x1 1/2 inch rust hole, easy to fix or ignore.

6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Lookin' good Huevos ! Next junk yard tour take a look under the passenger side fender of a Fox body Stang, Fairmont, little Bird or Cougar. You'll find a couple different vacume balls under there between the fender and plastic inner liner. Some have a check valve, some not but the one in the source line from the intake manifold is better for flow. Look at some brand X cars, their check valves work fine also. Huevos, listen closely for your vacume leak inside the cab. It may be the sliding disc leaking in the control panel.
    A little Lubriplate ( white grease ) squirted in each vacume port has saved the day on many of those controls for me. Clark has gone thru the dash vacume motor routine, maybe he can add more info. I'm in the middle of a heater core replacment on my pet Town Car - - Steering column, entire dash, then the box with all the doors and stuff. Had to take a break to let my eyes uncross. Great work Bro, I like that battery mount.

7. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

I have the same problem under my hood, I'll have to go snag a can of that duplicolor!

8. HuevosRanchero

thanx HB! Have to find a good yard again...almost depleted in this neck of the woods...

9. kirksss32

kirksss32 In Overdrive

youll love the jet hot coating,,,, had it done to my 32 plym headers,,, put on 52 thousand miles before i sold it,, they lookd like new...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2012
  10. kirksss32

kirksss32 In Overdrive

that is why the can has a valve in it, to hold presure with out it , the climate doors will do there own thing every time you hit the gas an let off.

11. HuevosRanchero

How to tell your starter solenoid is bad.

[​IMG]
    after getting the battery squared away I was going to clean off the starter solenoid contacts....and while unscrewing the starter cable side THIS happened. Popped like me after an evening at the Golden Corral buffet.... :eek:

[​IMG] 'ol Rock is bleeding me dry lately!

[​IMG]
    Shiny!!... Yep...the difference between regular and "Select" was a dollar. For that you get Gray plastic instead of black...and a shiny sticker!! yep I went for it! :rolleyes:

12. *RD*

*RD* In Maximum Overdrive

Lol talk about dry rot or something, didn't think that they could do that. Also I think that the select one has better contacts and is a bit stronger.

13. HuevosRanchero

Blast from the past

my wife found an old pic of "the Rock" from early 2002 ..just a few months after I bought him on 911

[​IMG]

14. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Looked better then, my man, sans the station wagon topper, of course. :D

15. HuevosRanchero

mmm yes...the ratty interior...broken grill, oily engine and rust spots were AWESOME :D

16. ForistellFord

Sounds like my daily drivin lovin Durango. You know I'm only bustin on ya, old boy. Rock looks great. (But I really would chrome the bezels again)

17. HuevosRanchero

ehh its okay either way dude...i know some like the oem look..as do i...but i do love the grip of the new wheels/tires. its okay to hate it ...just dont love the camper top...or I'll start wondering about you :eek: dont get me wrong stationwagons can be kewl...I just prefer 'cheros to look like 'cheros...unless you can find a flat top bed cover!

18. ForistellFord

Stop rambling, you look bad. I had a fiberglass topper and a flat fiberglass tonneau on my 73, and they looked fine. Both went, gulp, to the boneyard on top of my dead cheros. Ah, youth.

19. HuevosRanchero

i was born a rambling man....quite literally :rolleyes:

20. HuevosRanchero

Finished Summer Project 2012

[​IMG]

finally completed the extraction of enuff bux from my behind to have a complete set of new tires in ........ever actually.

Cooper RS3-S 245 45 17s.... enjoyed the heck out of them driving home on the twisties from a car show in Reynolds this weekend!!

yeah...i know..its a cop out :rolleyes: