The "Rock"

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by HuevosRanchero, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Way better then when you had them black!

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  2. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

they wuz black cause they had no finish left......looked like they were sandblasted but 30 plus years into the wind will do that I imagine.

ForistellFord and andrewok1 like this.
  3. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

Rock -LOOKS NICE -NOS $$$$$

4. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

I have a pretty fun story about headlight doors. About 20 years ago i was at a local swap meet that is well known for GM parts (chevy) more than ford. but it was a day out with the guys so I figured why not. After walking around for about 20 minutes i came across a guy that had a mixed box of NOS parts in a box. Just for fun I started digging through the box and found brand new still the boxes a right and left side headlight doors for my 74 ranchero. I was almost afraid to ask because I figured I didn't have enough cash. The guy had no idea what they fit. I told him and he replied to me get them out of here for $10 each! So for 20 years the 74 has been sporting my $20 find and the deal of the century! I also found an NOS 74 grill with the tags still on it at the Columbus OH swap 2 years ago for $35! Sometime there are great deals to be found.

ForistellFord and HuevosRanchero like this.
  5. HuevosRanchero

funny as you say....I bought the drivers headlight door on ebay and by accident the seller sent me the passenger headlight door....to avoid the sending back that would ensue...he sold me the correct one for $20....I was happy to make that deal!

andrewok1 and ForistellFord like this.
  6. HuevosRanchero

while the interior is out....finally installed a decent stereo head unit. Good googamooga it cost me. Went full boat including bluetooth. Install was painless and sounds great. for the money they could have included the $3 worth of bullet crimp connectors. Looks great too ...knobs are VERY CHEESY plastic...had to work them a little to fit properly, again could have been better. Works great through the 6 speakers and 2 subs I already had installed over the years. Head powers a dual firing speaker in the center under the dashpad and 2 door speakers. RCA takes signal to a cheap power amp in the rear to power to speakers and 2 subs. Loud and quality enough that you forget you're in an old car.

face.jpg mic.jpg

Buddy Porter likes this.
  7. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Pink?

andrewok1 and HuevosRanchero like this.
  8. HuevosRanchero

it just happened to be on....I was just jazzed that the NOS antenna worked with the new head unit....great reception!!!!!

9. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

68 Chevy knobs there Brother. No wonder they were reluctant going in a Ford.

HuevosRanchero and andrewok1 like this.
  10. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

PINK x -2 ??????

11. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The only thing that matters, is if it's Pink in the middle....;)

12. HuevosRanchero

hah..wasn't sure what they were based on...thought it might be a pickup. The rear knobs are for looks only....

13. HuevosRanchero

hey folks....been busy...have had more time...but less time to post. Have been working from home like many of you so I've been covered up with home projects that have been neglected for YEARS...Stained every piece of wood in the surrounding area. Repaired crack cement facia on my foundation, Made the old Buick fully operational. etc etc... The Rock hasn't escaped unscathed...finally have a nice dashpad back in.

many moons ago I bought the silver jubilee dashpad out of a thunderbird from Brother Todd...my cracked vinyl original has been carrying a cheap cap(which did a great job) for about a decade. Well i decided to get the blue leather out into the sunlight thinking stupidly to myself that I would find someone in Ga to dye it black for me....someone who knew what they were doing...someone whose economy I could restart...stupid me. Nobody wanted the job. Auto upholsterers wont even attempt it. I found 1 place in ATL that was willing to try but didn't fill me with confidence. So I found this place on line

https://autoleatherdye.com/

and they seemed competent and made me feel confident enough that I could do the job myself. They say their stuff can work on vinyl with an additive but I can't vouch for that. They have some good videos. and some good leather fill products which makes hiding finish damage in the leather a breeze if not too deep. They also recommended a UV additive for extra protection and binding which I added to the mix. Anyhoo..did it turn out perfect...no....the pad is 42 years old...and I don't know what Im doing at the best of times...but I'm pretty happy with the result.....sort of a modern leather look like late model cars have. I had to drill two extra holes on the right side of the pad mounting tab because there is a slight difference between the t-bird and the torino/chero...but if you folks decide to go this route...(or want to repair your leather furniture)...this company is worth a look....they will match colors and have preprepared factory car colors ...Ill just let a couple of pics speak for themselves.

these shots illustrate some of the damage...there really wasn't much...if my interior was blue I'd probably have just cleaned it up and left as is......and I actually considered going to blue with the perfect sets of blue GT panels floating around on Epay right now.....

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

4.jpg

the filler levels out nicely after about an hour...didn't want to do too much that would require sanding because....well cowardly + 42 year old pad = probable disaster.

5.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  14. HuevosRanchero

did the bottom side first...you use some cleaner first....then fill, then a foam applicator ...(1 block that I split into 4 pieces) and about 4 thin coats seemed to be my sweet spot....

6.jpg

you let surface dry between coats....then min 6 hours before handling...I went almost 24...cause well...coward....

7.jpg

blue on black at the flip over...I think it best to work on panels where possible....having the thread borders made it easier for continuities sake.

8.jpg

first two coats go on very think and streaky...and easy to work with.....3 coat gets thicker...4 coat starts to get gooey and mistake prone.....I thought it best to stop and coverage seemed complete.

9.jpg
    10.jpg

15. HuevosRanchero

voila...la question c'est voulez vous?

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg 14.jpg

looks real good in lower light.

15.jpg

as a wise navy man said...YMMV

LSChero and Jeff B like this.
  16. handy_andy_cv64

Heh. I bet it does.:D

How's the surface in bright light, such as driving toward the Sun when it's low in the sky?

17. HuevosRanchero

still looks good...its just i know where the blems are....about the same amount of shiny as the painted lower dash and less than the painted metal pan its attached to .

18. handy_andy_cv64

OK, cool. I have problems with glare, and if that can alleviate some of it, I may give it a try.

19. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Looking sharp!!!

HuevosRanchero and Saff54 like this.
  20. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Doggone that's sharp. I'd like to find an original steering wheel with buttons on it, I convert it to radio controls.

Cheers,

Doc