The "Rock"

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by HuevosRanchero, Jul 25, 2011.

1. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

some beauty shots in nice lighting the wifey did the other day while I was working in the garage.

8.10.2020 (1) (Small).JPG 8.10.2020 (4) (Small).JPG 8.10.2020 (6) (Small).JPG 8.10.2020 (7) (Small).JPG 8.10.2020 (9) (Small).JPG

2. HuevosRanchero

long time no post dudes.....currently working 3 jobs and it's all I can do to keep it together but gonna ride the wave while I can.

Unfortunately time marches on and the "Rocks" heater core decided to start relieving itself all over my floor and carpet (would you believe the wife's mustang is doing the same thing but that job is going to be hell so it's going to wait it's turn)

So here are some heater box pics to help anyone else who might tackle this. It's not a complete rebuild of the box ..just pulled the front half out and redoing the foam on one door...and otherwise cleaning up while I wait for a new core ( Original fell to pieces pulling it out.

So you start by pulling the heater floor vent unit off (2 screws)...pull of the glove box door and liner. After that getting to the box bolts is pretty easy except one on the top in the mostly inaccessible part under the dash. Apologize for some of the dark pics

[​IMG]

always thought the Rock smelled pretty good for an old car but the insides of the box stank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the metal bits were originally anodized but 45 years old they are covered with some surface rust and decaying foam insulation. The
    rear doors foam is in decent shape so I left it alone/too afraid to wrestle it out of there and break something fragile since it still works ok.

[​IMG]

2 vacuum motors are involved in the operation of the unit...this one is internal to the box..with a vacuum line with
    a white stripe going to it. Still seems to work fine so I cleaned it up. NOS ones are going for $149 so far...still on the
    lookout for a cheaper one as a spare.

[​IMG]

Not sure but I think this door controls vent or defrost selection?

3. HuevosRanchero

[​IMG]

front part of the box pulled and and being cleaned up to coat with a rubberized coating

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

someone got creative with the sealing foam on one corner for whatever reason...will have to
    simulate I guess

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the external vacuum motor is shot...found a NOS replacement for $30...a steal.

[​IMG]

Yes Virginia the rotating axle for the blend door DOES go through a simple hole in the casing....yeesh..
    cheap cheap

4. HuevosRanchero

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

various brackets and such shown

[​IMG]

another shot of the internal vacuum motor

[​IMG]

back in place and hooked up to the door

[​IMG]

back half cleaned up, rust treated and sprayed for protection

[​IMG]
    new foam

5. HuevosRanchero

still waiting on the heater core...has now been put as expected Jan 14th...ugh...original order on Nov 22ned.

[​IMG]
    make sure to put the rod back into the box first...doh!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    external view of rod and external vacuum motor mount

[​IMG]
    external vac motor....note 2 vacuum connections (1 snapped off) replacement I found
    had slightly longer attachment arm which I modified with a new hole...pic later.

[​IMG]
    blower speed control springs.....

[​IMG]
    back in place using trim screws

[​IMG]
    trim screw part number

6. HuevosRanchero

aaaaaand STILL waiting on a heater core (due Feb 1st now)

so at a standstill what to do?? Then stumbled across this 73 Gran Torino Shot on the interwebs....

[​IMG]

and thought "dayum that's not half bad!" have always wanted to extend the railroad tie further
    down......it's just such an abrupt ending...but never found something suitable that i wanted to risk.
    Until now. The 73 bumper and nose are of course different but I figured it would be close enough
    with some further modification.

[​IMG]

the spoiler is a 90s vintage Econoline piece which is both plentiful still and cheap. (80 or so rancherobux with shipping and new in the Ford Box) non chrome bumper version. F7UZ-15001A06-BA

[​IMG]

note the curve...although mounted looks straight which I guess is due to some optical effect

[​IMG]

lots of mounting holes already in flange but there is quite a bit of trimming involved on the ends you
    need to get the flange down to 1 inch. Most of it fits between the chrome bumper cover and the beam...
    except for the center and the ends. Measurement pics to come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and finally a mockup pic my son took. At this point the area is cleaned...holes are drilled..which was
    a PIA as far as cutting through for some reason, maybe I need better bits. It holds in place
    pretty well as is..but of course it would walk around. I think I put in 8 holes for push mounts .
    Just want to put on protective paint and final mounting should be a breeze. Note for a non
    tucked bumper it will be easier than mine....had some interference at the bumper mounts.

7. Alan in Alabama

Alan in Alabama In First Gear

" have always wanted to extend the railroad tie further
    down..."

A former Alabama football player (Landon Dickerson, now with Philadelphia Eagles) is mechanically inclined and actually mounted a railroad tie for a bumper on his truck.

EtRGnmIXIAA9QLq.jpg

8. Buds 67

Buds 67 In Third Gear

GO DAWG'S!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Alan in Alabama

That hurt ! And Bama may be down next year too with more roster departures for NFL.

Buds 67 likes this.
  10. Alan in Alabama

11. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Sorry, redneck in me coming out. WAAARRR Eagle here.

Buds 67 likes this.
  12. Alan in Alabama

Auburn football still has a ways to go. Should have kept Gus. But basketball.... Wow. Bruce Pearl hire was comparable to Bama hiring Saban.

Buds 67 and Hillbilly like this.
  13. Alan in Alabama

HuevosRanchero: Sorry I hijacked your thread into sports talk. I'll be quiet now. ( I admire the work you've done on your Ranchero. )

HuevosRanchero and Buds 67 like this.
  14. HuevosRanchero

Don't sweat it, I like to see it lively around here! I just don't get to stop by as much as I used to....I'm milking 3 jobs as much as I can while they are
    available...(2 of which are music related...so that's my kinda work...)

Hard not to love that rail road tie bumper!

Buds 67 likes this.
  15. Alan in Alabama

Out of curiosity, are you a musician or do you do technical stuff like speakers, sound systems, recording, etc. ?

16. HuevosRanchero

Part time musician....Band dates are coming up again starting this weekend. I do music at church now also. My regular job is CNC Sheet Metal Fabrication equipment repairs.

17. Alan in Alabama

Play that funky music white boy !

andrewok1 and HuevosRanchero like this.
  18. HuevosRanchero

so, completion of the front spoiler project....nice and easy
    gave the stuff in the area a fresh coat of black stone chip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    you can see some of the holes i drilled for fasteners above...used a 1/4 drill bit final size
    after pilot holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    yeah yeah yeah...don't give me a lot of lip over my crappy cuts...I had to nibble to make sure
    I didn't take too much off...would have looked fine with a single cut.

From each end I had to reduce the mounting flange to 1 inch for 19 inchs and finished with
    a 45 degree exit cut
    [​IMG]
    you can see the exit cut here next to the white push panel rivet. Not the surround cut
    for the to bumper cover bolts on the bottom. I didn't want any stress on the plastic that
    might crack later not that I expect much flex from the iron girder. You can see i used
    GM screw rivets.....the plastic screws I replaced with stainless as they plastic ones are too
    fragile

[​IMG]

andrewok1 and Buds 67 like this.
  19. HuevosRanchero

the types of fasteners I used....again...I found the push panel pins too inflexible for regular use...unless you want to keep gouging your holes until you manage to force them in. The plastic screw rivets were much better but again I used stainless screws instead of the plastic ones they came with. Should be fairly easy to remove should I ever need to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. HuevosRanchero

Was a tough May, feeling pretty burned out at the moment but we must soldier on. Hopefully I can spend more time around here
    some time soon. (Spending a lot of my miniscule resto time on our Buick Reatta right now, once I had gotten the wife's Cobra AC
    working). Anyhoo a couple more front spoiler shots and the completion FINALLY of the heater box project.

20220206_150845 (Custom).jpg 20220206_150857 (Custom).jpg

I can happily report that I can for the first time I can recall, control air flow to the defroster vents, dash vents, AND the floor vents....
    100% function at the moment. Hope it lasts til I'm dead cause I don't wanna do it again.

20220501_165603 (Custom).jpg

20220501_165732 (Custom).jpg
    Money shot.....this is a real bugger to remove ...much easier to put back in. Has to be soldered properly
    on the pipe in order to have the proper poke through distance on the firewall. Not to mention this is basically
    all the support the unit gets inside the box.

20220501_165740 (Custom).jpg
    floor eye view

Buds 67 and Jeff B like this.