The Saga of Midnight

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Doc76251, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I think I will make this the first installation of the Midnight thread as I have a feeling there will be a lot more posts about what I will do in the future to my 77 Chero. I've been accused of being "verbose", I'm good with that, my world does not exist in 30 second sound bites so good reader ........ read on.

In another post I chronicled the finding of a Saginaw steering pump and most importantly the bracket that attaches to a 5.8L (351Windsor) as well as a Ford Hydroboost system from a 93 Mustang 5.0 GT and a 3G alternator from a 3.0L Mercury Sable Wagon.......

[​IMG]

So as I sat with my horde of unobtanium booty I got looking on the internets for a way to clean up not only aluminum but the aluminum cased alternator which was badly stained, OK all of them were greasy messes. I found a you tube video of a guy that essentially dunked his alternator in a solution and hosed it off in his sink. He used LA's Awesome Orange and cut it 50/50 with water as he said full strength it made your skin peel. It's not the first time I heard of the stuff but I decided to check it out. I discovered it is available at Dollar Tree where everything is $1.00 and there happens to be one of those just up the street.

For the princely sum of $7.42 I walked out of Dollar Tree with three 64 FL Oz bottles of the stuff as well as green HD scrubby pads, sponges with LD scrubby pads on the back a 3 pack of paint brushes and a big plastic bowl.

[​IMG]

I got home and decided the bowl wasn't going to work but an extra utility bucket would. I dumped two bottles of LA Awesome in and added two bottles of water. Then I grabbed the alternator by the power cord and submerged it in the solution (I did take off the AIS plug and stator plug first) and let it sit for 15min. Pulled it out and used the middle sized paint brush to knock of the big grease chunks, spun the pulley, hit it with the garden hose and dunked it back in the solution.

[​IMG]

15 minutes later it was a fairly uniform "dark grey" with no greasy bits and the pulley spun freely, not the shiny aluminum I was looking for but grease free and clean. I'm good with dark grey.

[​IMG]

Then I took the PS pump/bracket and dumped it in the same solution. All the bubbles disappeared. Having done more than my fair share of dishes I knew that meant the solution was maxed out. So I added the third bottle of LA's and filled the bucket with water. Lots of bubbles. In full disclosure the PS pump still had a bit of PS pump fluid in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15 min later I pulled it out and hit it with the paint brush and the hose. Back in the bucket, add more water. 15 min later pull it out brush it some more, add more water, make more bubbles.

[​IMG]

15 min later pulled it out brushed out some remaining bits in the nooks and crannies and hit it with the hose one last time. I'll be a son of a gun the aluminum was a frosted "aluminum" looking bit of bracket, the PS pump had the paint flaking off it which came off under hose pressure.

[​IMG]

I intentionally did not "scrub" anything with wire wheels or stainless brushes and I used the sponge more than the scrubby bit when I did have to knock off chunks, I did not use the HD scrubby pads at all. Me being me, I dumped the bucket on an unsuspecting patch of weeds hoping that it might kill some of them. Three days later they are all alive and no worse for wear (Dagnabit).

All in all I am pretty impressed with the LA's as far as removal of grease and other nasty bits. I checked the alternator and it is no worse for wear. The PS pump I had hoped to make go roundy roundy but alas it is still seized but will act as a good core return when I get the two tube version or mebby the remote reservoir version, still not sure yet.

Here are the part numbers:

1st the mounting bracket for the Saginaw

[​IMG]

2nd the pulley off the Saginaw pump

[​IMG]

Currently sourcing the parts to do the 3G install as my battery/ground cables need replaced and waiting for a sunny day to do the install.

Cheers,

Doc

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

All three cables for Babe, starting with the PMGR starter install, use cabling from a late '90s Explorer 4.0 OHV---positive, negative and charge. The positive and lower solenoid trigger are just long enough for the '72-'79, and both of the other cables are plenty long.

3. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I'm not going to use much of the original assy. other than the plugged bits. I'm going to go with 2 AWG custom battery connections and custom terminals to include those connecting to the mega fuse. The 130 amp alternator actually can pull 175+ amps at 3K rpm and 2 AWG is rated to 205 amps per the charts. Over build the cable assy let the fuse be the weak link at 175 Amps.

Cheers,

Doc

handy_andy_cv64 likes this.
  4. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Do you do windows?

5. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I'm hoping like hell to do windows!!! I hate the door pulls on the Ranchero and want my 77 T-Bird doors back with power windows and locks. That failing I have a custom upholstery shop locally that will install window cranks that are one touch up and down with modern regulators, motors etc. as well as custom door handles, pulls n power locks. A bit pricey at north of $2K tho.

Cheers,

Doc

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  6. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Let me guess … you do not have a Twitter account, right? ;)

Joseph

7. handy_andy_cv64

That's what I plan with Babe, and the charge cable is plenty hefty for it, but then, I only need a 95A unit anyway, as I'm not doing a lot of electrical accessories.

8. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Actually I do/did, the professor for one of the courses I was taking for my MBA required us to set one up and "play with it". Made 20+ posts, got3 followers an A in the course and promptly forgot about it.

Cheers,

Doc

colnago likes this.
  9. handy_andy_cv64

I did that, the day Twitter went live. I set my account, saw zero activity, logged out, and promptly forgot about it. Got a reminder about it by email a few weeks later, and had forgotten the login info.