The Saga of Midnight

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Doc76251, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Midnight sure would look good dressed with a louvered hood, run cooler too. Anyone ever see one ? Bet you Andrewok1 might have some oars in the fire on that one.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Oooh, better yet, a ram air hood, louvered! That'd be a sight to behold!

3. Hillbilly

Nah, tried that and the ram air didn't like the air flowing out of the louvers. Would be better with the louvered hood to go ram air from under the front bumper - - Like a W-30 ram air Olds Cutlass.

4. handy_andy_cv64

My vision was the louvers to the sides only, as I know it would pull in hot air from center louvers. I would think having ram air inlets down at the bumper would vacuum all the crap and crud traffic kicks up. Ram air at the core support top?

5. Hillbilly

Prime spot Andy. Notice the high beam headlights converted to air inlets on Thunderbolts ?

6. handy_andy_cv64

True, that I agree with; I re-read your post and you did say "under the bumper."

7. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I was actually thinking of a 77 T-Bird front clip swap and turning the hood into cowl induction. I like the flat straight lines of the T-Bird better than the curvy lines of the Chero. That of course could happen right after I hit the lottery.

Cheers,

Doc

8. handy_andy_cv64

We all could use that win. I wouldn't mind a late '70s Cougar clip and the EFI OD drivetrain I dream of.

9. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I've got the top half of that 5.8L sitting in the bed of Midnight. I have to figure out what and how I'm going to do with the AOD trans I got one shop wanted $1600 just to take a look at it. Supposedly it came out of a working truck (2WD F-150) with no issues, I might just clean it up / paint it and poke it in and see what I get.

Cheers,

Doc

10. handy_andy_cv64

Heck, $1600 to look at it? You're better off saving your money, even if you poke it into an F150 just to test it out before poking it into Midnight.

11. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

So I got off work early because I went in early and skipped lunch and stopped by the machine shop. The crank polished to standard YAY!!! The block is whole, sound and flat but it does need to be bored 0.030" over to get it round. The machinist said it looked like the last person inside did a flex-hone which was why the cross hash marks were there. If he had to guess the motor had 10 - 20K miles on it depending on the care of the motor which is unknown. So nothing more than what I was going to do anyway to get it right. Now that I know what I have it's time to figure out how to get the valves out of the heads so that I can order gaskets and do a port match and polish job before I send them out for a rebuild with new springs to go with the roller cam. I guess I better get started on the engine bay and Turbo Boost brakes. This $h!t is beginning to get real.

Cheers,

Doc

12. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Good news!Guess you mean "hydroboost"?Lots of fab work,custom hoses,brake lines,coolers ect. involved in swap.Ill help ya if I can.
    002.JPG 004.JPG

13. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

LSChero: Yeah that thing!

Cheers,

Doc

14. handy_andy_cv64

For the valves, you need a pair of head stands, valve spring compressor, dead-blow hammer, a pen magnet and a wide, deep, flat bench to do the work on. Set the head on the stands, and use the dead-blow to whack the valve stems a few times to loosen the keepers and retainers from each other. Then start at one end, left to right or right to left, compress each spring and use the magnet to grab each pair of keepers, then remove the compressor, and group each valve, spring or springs, retainer or rotator and keepers in the order they were removed.

15. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

OK, I'm beginning to loose my $h!t. I CANNOT be the only guy that want's to take a stock height block (9.503", 351W), stock crank (3.5" stroke) and stock connecting rods (5.956") with the block bored 0.030" over that needs pistons to fill the holes and get a quench of ~0.040" and a compression ratio of ~ 9.5:1. Either my math is way FUBAR or I am not understanding something. I can get head gaskets as thin as 0.027" or the standard ~0.040" compressed which gives me a quench in the 60's with most pistons. The engine God's say you need a quench of 0.035 - 0.040". General Purpose compression height is 1.774" on a piston which nets me a 0.023" deck clearance PLUS a 0.040" compressed head gasket which gives me 0.063" of quench @ 9.5:1 compression. I have to be missing something it can't be this hard. HELP!!!!

Cheers,

Doc

16. handy_andy_cv64

And in all that you've spoken, you've not included any specs on the cylinder heads.

17. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Sorry, Cast Iron, World Products Windsor Jr. Heads, 58cc. I have the factor flow data if you would like. The intake isn't bad but the exhaust almost doesn't suck.

Cheers,

Doc

18. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

For info 1.94" intake valves, 1.60" exhaust. Flows 231 CFM @.50 intake and and 157 CFM @ exhaust. Roughly 67% efficiency. Looking at a Lunati Bootlegger cam with 270/300 duration to pick up some exhaust movement. Have Comp cams 1:6 roller tip rockers. Will need new springs and rods to match going forward. Not real hip on the 108* lobe separation but I can live with it.

Cheers,

Doc

19. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

Oh my! 108 LSA?!!!

20. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I run into that almost every day. Now that you have the specs, just deck the block the required amount. Bring it to zero deck, just watch the style of pistons you use - you don't want the compression too high.

Doc76251 and aquartlow like this.