The way things were

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by handy_andy_cv64, Apr 20, 2020.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I found this video of the '63 Daytona 500. Pretty cool to watch this, since it's actual TV video, rather than film, which was very seldomly done back then (apparently, Bill France Sr. thought that showing races on TV took away from the gate proceeds). Enjoy!

2. handy_andy_cv64

Lately, when I'm on YouTube, I run across vids of Dale Eanhardt Jr.'s podcasts, and they've been pretty good to downright hilarious. I'm posting this particular one because my first exposure to NASCAR was the last several laps of the 1979 Daytona 500, with Cale Yarborough and Donnie Allison tangling up, then duking it out as Richard Petty took the checkered flag. Man, I was laughing my 13-year-old ass off as the CBS cameras picked up those two, along with Bobby Allison joining in, just throwing punches. Anyway, here's the podcast with David Hobbs.

3. handy_andy_cv64

I just watched an episode of Kyle Petty's 'Coffee with Kyle,' where he sat with Ned and Dale Jarrett, and the part where they talked about Fireball Roberts' crash and Ned Jarrett's role in Roberts' rescue, and his eventual passing, it brought tears to my eyes.

4. handy_andy_cv64

Here's the video of the last lap of the '79 Daytona 500, along with commentaries from the Allison Brothers and Cale Yarbrough: