This is a Chero?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by handy_andy_cv64, Sep 9, 2017.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero MODERATOR Staff Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It's a 1957 Ford Chero, it's one of 39 concept trucks made to go up against Chevy Cameo. These trucks were handcrafted using the rear panels and modified trim of a Ford Del '57 Rio station wagon two doors, just as it did with the Dodge Sweptside. Each truck was equipped with block 312-Y Police performance hi Interceptor engine, top of the transmission speed line-3, with overdrive, and rear axle facing high, along with a heavy suspension composed of parts of the Lincoln Continental car, heavy limousine class. Ford also borrowed many new Thunderbird interior features, including central console and factory air conditioning. Ford only made the 39 concept trucks after discovering that both the Cameo and the trucks were experiencing Sweptside low sales numbers and that it was not worth the full cost of production.

This truck was one of 5, the number 16 in production, bought new by Fred Usinger II, from the Usui Sausage company in Milwaukee, by its sales team. Fred was a very close friend of Henry Ford II. Visiting Henry II in October 1956 Mr. Usinger took a tour of the Ford factory, where the Chero was designed and built. When he saw the truck with cab is streamlined new and gaudy rear panels, Henry said it was "the coolest thing since sliced bread". He also said Ford, he would like to give one of these trucks to each of his top five sellers as an incentive. Henry II offered for sale Usinger the trucks remain devoted to production at a special price. An agreement was signed for Usinger to get a special deal, but he had to order the trucks that a local trader, using a secret ordering system.

This Chero is owned by Evian Ruoy of Chenequa, Wisconsin. He picked up his father's car, Rodger, the original owner and top sausage seller of 1957. This Chero was purchased from the Ford Beau Ogus dealership in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. The truck has less than 13,000 unique miles. He received a full out of frame restoration in 2006 at a cost of over $ 35,000.

3. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Thats a Charp Chero...

4. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Cept that it isn't.
    It is a pickup.

5. handy_andy_cv64

So are our Cheros. But we get your point. I gotta admit, it was a good try to put something against Chevrolet's Cameo Carriers.

6. ribald1

Our Cheros are cars.
    That is a pickup truck.
    There is an important feature that separates a car from a truck, and separate is that feature.

7. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive

We had a real '57 ranchero custom running around here called the "Ruby Ranch". Don.t let the dual headlites fool you. It's a '57.

And note what Ribald said. NOT separate. Not a truck. Built on station wagon frame and body.
    [​IMG]

8. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

So.. A Unibody Ford Truck is a car?

[​IMG]

Jeff B and 1965 Ranchero 66G like this.
  9. Cindy

Cindy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

He got you there.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  10. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Looks like a photo crop..Wheres are expert?

11. handy_andy_cv64

It does not matter what a vehicle's chassis is...it only matters how the vehicle's classed. A Ranchero is classed as a truck, check what you pay for your tabs if you don't believe me, and a Bronco is classed as a multipurpose passenger vehicle owing to the two seats front and rear, even though the rear seat is foldable and removable.

12. beerbelly

beerbelly In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Eff the classification, I have wood for that Unibody!

13. handy_andy_cv64

Dude, TMI....

14. beerbelly

beerbelly In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Wood'nt you ???

15. ribald1

OK guys, and gal.
    A truck is a tractor with the cargo section permanently affixed. If the cab is not a separate piece, it is either a car or van (there are a few others, but they are not trucks either). A van is not a truck, not even the early unibody Econoline with the open bed.

16. toyroom

toyroom In Third Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

I know this is a Ford Ranchero forum but I really dig the Chevy Cameo, and way cooler is the GMC Suburban.

17. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero MODERATOR Staff Member

Not in Califorina if you have a bronco and the top is off and you are hauling anything its considered a Truck any you better have commercial tags on it
    http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/02/looking-back-1961-1963-ford-f100-unibody-pickups.html

Ford Disagrees with you on this one
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

rancheromac likes this.
  18. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, Commiefornia, I understand. Washington state doesn't give a crap about truck or no truck, especially where SUVs are concerned; they just want the scale tax. Both my Exploder and Ranchero get hit with it, but back in the mid-2000s, my Bronco was not assessed a scale tax, as at that time, Washington classed it the way I said earlier in the thread-a "Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle."

19. ribald1

If the definition of words falls to advertisers and politicians, you knw where that leads.
    Boys being girls, girls being boys, cats being dogs, tobacco being healthy.........
    Not long back here I had people here claiming that the front of a truck is not a tractor (tractor trailer drivers got a laugh about that one).
    Words have meanings that go beyond the fashion of the day. Otherwise language ceases to be a valuable tool.

20. Cindy

Cindy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

<~~ re-naming myself The Gal <grin at John>