This is a Chero?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by handy_andy_cv64, Sep 9, 2017.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Sooooo...I guess that makes me The Gal Pal!:cool:

Cindy likes this.
  2. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Just cant seem to get the tape off my mouth, but I think its coming loose.

Cindy likes this.
  3. handy_andy_cv64

So I was over at Stationwagonforums, and when I read through the newest posts, I found out this was some kind of April Fools joke. Whomever had done the Photochopping, they did a Helluva job. There's another Ranchero thread over there, but after this little disaster, I'm not sure I want to bring it over.

4. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In First Gear

Glad to hear that it was not real -- I didn't believe the article when I first read it . The fact that it was poorly written and that the guy had to buy it from " Ford Beau Ogus " kinda made me think it was --- bogus !! Shame though as I agree it looks good.

5. Basstrix

Basstrix In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I think this one classifies as a pickup truck....tractor is separate from the cargo area :)

cajones.JPG

6. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

7. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive

The 61 econoline vans were a little underpowered. Phone co in nj bought some, found out when loaded up with installer/repair gear they had great difficulty making it up the hill to one of the Newark garages. And we are a very flat state.

8. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

Please do, I like looking at pics, We Love Pics!!!

9. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Depends on the engine. The gen 1s were lighter than the gen 2s and the Windsor did a great job, especially the 302, and it was available in 61.
    Before I dropped in a 5.0, my gen 2 handled every task I threw at it with a high mileage 302. Full ladder racks, back crammed full of tools and materials, even pulling a trailer regularly. I have a customer in the Richmond hills that requires I put my vertical ladder on a trailer and haul it up there. It is almost 2 miles of 20+ prevent grade. Even with the old engine there was never an issue. Now, coming down, before I switched to disk brakes, was a whole nother animal. I would have to stop halfway down and let my brakes cool for 15 minutes as the fade got scary.

10. handy_andy_cv64

11. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, I'm no fan of drum brakes, no matter how long they've been around.

12. Basstrix

Basstrix In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure the 302 was NOT available in 61. 68 is when I recall seeing it first begin to show up.

13. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

The predecessor to the 302 was first offered in the 1962 Fairlane, built as a 221 cube motor. The 302 version was added in 1968.

I thought that all of the Econoline vehicles came with I-6 motors.

14. As Is '66

I wish I knew HowTo get that article&pic over here...
    No photochopping there, I don`t think...
    I`d LOVE to 4WD Rusty with a frame under her...
    Have a friend in Avon Park, FL what put a Big Block into a 60s Ranchero Round body...
    My friend Thu, in Griffin, GA lost his 61 to Irma`s wrath, under an Oak tree...

15. handy_andy_cv64

Dammit, I hate hearing about that! With all the trees we have here in WA. State, it always crosses my mind when we get a windstorm whether or not my either of my rigs will bite the trunk.

16. beerbelly

beerbelly In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Here you go As Is:

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 9.44.37 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 9.44.55 AM.png

17. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive

61 econoline had 2 engine choices: 144 cid 6 with 3 on the tree or 170 cid 6 with manual or auto. Later Gen1's had 240 cid 6's. Phone co being cheap and run by accountants, guess which they bought.

18. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I checked, you are correct.
    I have seen so many Gen1s with Windsors that I just figured it was an option.
    Long ago I had a pickup with a 240. Always did what asked, just don't be in a hurry when carrying a big load as you wouldn't get out of second unless going downhill.

19. As Is '66

Yeah, I had looked and read this one, but wanted it here for all to see, Thank You @beerbelly ...

Dad had a round body Ranchero for his appliance delivery & service truck, Waaay back when they were New...
    AND
    Yeah We had one of those early 60s Econoline vans for our TV shop, we used it as delivery & service truck for MANY years...
    It stayed loaded with tube caddies & tools of the trade too @ribald1 ...
    The inline 6 did its job well, but that shift linkage was "wore slap out"...
    IF you went gentle while shifting all was well, BUT Hit it hard? You`ll be unhangin` it!!!
    Dad bought it from a big bread company, there ain`t no tellin` how many miles it had on it???
    I`d take a nickel for each time I loaded it with dirt bikes and headed to the "sand pits", or loaded it with other kids for a night out on the town(s) :D

We put over 100,000 on the odometer,
    Dennis