Three wheeler

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Huevos, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

2. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive

Seeing more and more 3-wheelers around here, but not like that one. Becoming more popular with the older set?

3. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I fail to see the point.
    You still need to put your foot down at a stop, and use a kick stand.
    When I was driving sport bikes, I never said to myself "Boy, I sure wish I had a heavier front end". Had I , I would have added weights.

4. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Second Gear

Well-I prefer my 3 wheeler!!

Attached Files:

Huevos likes this.
  5. rfinnegan

rfinnegan In Third Gear

As I envision it in my mind, so much of it seems awkward and counter intuitive.
    One of the claims is better grip in turns, but I wonder if it’s significantly better grip. If you’re leaning into the turn, the single rear wheel would as the as a pivot point (different than having 2 wheels in the back) and the outer front wheel would lose a lot of grip.
    I guess it’s something that needs to be experienced.

6. ribald1

I got to thinking about it, and imagine if they put 2 wheels in the rear also?
    That way all the benefits the front gets, the rear would also.
    Anybody that wants to run with the 4 wheels idea can have it for free. I realize, that like using 3 wheels, it is a radical new idea that will transform transportation, but I am busy with other things.

7. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I guess I am just old school, but no thanks. If this design were all that and a bag of chips, it would be taking the market by storm and be placing 1-2-3 on the track. If Yamaha wanted to attract new riders making them think this is a better, safer motorcycle, you might sell a few, until they ride them for a bit and trade them in on a proper 2 wheeler. I stopped by a local dealer a while ago and there was a family taking turns in the parking lot riding a Can Am 3 wheeler. These people were making the sales staff nervous and it would have not made any difference how many wheels that thing had, those folks had no business riding anything without further/proper instruction. Props to Yamaha for engineering such a thing, but I will be just fine on 2 wheels.

8. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I have two friends that have converted their big bikes into 3-wheelers, because they were too heavy and dropped them at slow speeds or a standstill. I'm thinking that if you can no longer manage a big, heavy bike, why not get a smaller, lighter one instead of looking like the dork that follows up the pack in a Frankie & Annette beach movie?

Kiwirancher and Hillbilly like this.
  9. ribald1

Or man up and do what men are supposed to do, pick up heavy things every day, rather than get lazy and weak?
    I agree with you though, a man who can't stand a Hog up from the pavement by himself has no business being on one, no mater how many wheels it has.

Hillbilly likes this.
  10. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive

Like I said, popular with the older set. Almost a rolling couch, Usually a grey-haired couple, sometimes with a luggage sized trailer.

Reliving their youth? Hey, bikes are a big enough tent to handle trikes.