Tired of logging in

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Billy Zoom, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Billy Zoom

Billy Zoom In Fourth Gear

Why is it now necessary to log in to every thread, on every page, every time I visit the site.
    I'm having to log in five or six times every time I look at this site. Also, those little yellow pop-up notes are really hard to navigate around.

2. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

When you log in are you checking the Keep Me Signed in tag??? We are ironing out a few issues and log in is one of them. I think we can set a longer time frame before it logs you off. Please bear with us as we have only been on this board a week and are still addressing some issues. You are not alone Hillbilly has the same problem. My cousin who set this board up will work on it probably tomorrow for us. Thanks for the info.

3. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

I don't have that problem on any of my home or work PC's. You might have a browser set-up issue with cookies or trusted sites, for what it's worth.

4. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

Me neigther i'm loged in all the time if I dont log out. :confused:

5. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

When you log in are you checking the Keep Me Signed in tag?>ranchero.us

+++++++++++++++++

Maybe I'm going blind here ... can somebody direct me to where that option appears?

Thought I might be missing it due to linux/firefox, so at the moment I'm booted into win2k and running IE -- and still can't see anything about 'keep me signed in' [and for the record, zero diffs in User CP either]. There is a 'remember me on this computer' checkbox on the login menu, which I have faithfully checked -- but it seems to do nothing useful.

The auto-logoff seems to be less troublesome today. And I tested just not logging off at all, stayed up for hours without problem for me, I could go away and come back -- but if everybody did that it might be a problem for the board's host.

Suggest the programmers should look at what happens at a user-initiated logoff -- that vbulletin message box 'all cookies deleted' seems like a likely culprit to me, cookies being the mechanism that lets sites remember client details.

Giska: looks to me like regular html is disallowed. Check the user signature screen in User CP.

Edit: [time passes...] have now gone away and came back in win2k + firefox, nothing in new options that I can see. The display is prettier in linux + firefox.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2008
  6. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Sorry

Sorry its Remember Me at the top right corner when you log into the site.

7. Giska1

BB what are you meaning i'm not doing anything wrong am I :confused:
    html ! I am not sure what that is, please help me in a way that a guy without any computer scills understand.:D

8. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Hi Giska ...

'HTML' is hypertext markup language -- the bones of a web page. If you were to 'view page source' you'd see a lot of it, stuff inside <...> angle braces is html.

So, I thought that's what you were asking about, posting a link's nickname rather than the entire long URL -- in a different thread. But it isn't allowed by this board software [maybe just as it's currently configured?] -- if you will visit User CP and then look at Signature options, you'll see a list of what's allowed and not allowed at the bottom of that page.

<a href="http://www.w3schools.com/">Visit W3Schools!</a>

If html was allowed, that would make a link, like ==> Visit W3Schools -- but it doesn't, at least not in a preview. Might be some other way to do it, not really an issue for me. If you put in the whole text of a URL then everybody can follow it regardless, and it'll always get copied on a cut/paste operation.

Edit: can others see a red button at lower left of this post, if you hover over it you see a note saying 'burninbush is invisible' ??? That's cool --

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2008
  9. Marauder359

Marauder359 Guest

No, for us that'd always be greyed out on you... on us it'd show green, unless of course we're lurking too, then it'd be red. That just shows who is on the board at any given moment.

10. Giska1

Ok now I get it, when you said not alowed I thought I might have done something against the rules on the page, and I could not understand what that was.
    But the url who is shown on the page is'nt so big so its ok. Thank for clearing that up. :):)

11. fomocomofo

fomocomofo In Fourth Gear

i just refresh the page that im looking at and it changes my status to logged in. i think its just one of those things with so many differant browsers out there that no 2 work the same. refreshing does it for me.